Moving kiln shelves?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

daffodildeb

Moving kiln shelves?

Post by daffodildeb »

I need suggestions on how to set a loaded shelf down into my kiln before firing. There is only about a 1/2" gap on each side--not enough to fit my fingers. I used to use strapping material to lower it, but I have a new kiln and it's harder to do it now.

Am I missing some obvious trick?
Deb
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Deb, the first two suggestions that come to my mind are to get a slightly smaller shelf to allow more clearance on the sides or place the shelf in the kiln then put your glass on it inside the kiln as I do 90 % of the time. It might be possible to cut 1/2" off each of two opposite sides of your existing shelf to give the needed clearance.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
revjerry

Cutting Shelves

Post by revjerry »

Tom,
That's exactly what I did, but for a different reason. I CAN'T find a flat kiln shelf. When I flat fuse I get grapefruit sized bubbles. By chance I had one shelf for a large L&L pottery kiln that behaved itself and I cut it down so it would fit into my Paragon front loader. Solved the problem with the flat fusing and, as you have pointed out, made getting it into the L&L a whole lot easier.

Jerry
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Deb-If you can't do a smaller shelf, I'd suggest notching opposite sides with a couple or three half circles, a little bigger than your fingers, or an broad arc shape. These would allow you to get a zero clearance grip to lift and lower it. You would lose a little shelf area, but not more than a few square inches.
Ed Cantarella

Re: Moving kiln shelves?

Post by Ed Cantarella »

See this post - simple and cheap solution.
http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... =2&t=42869
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.