Shelf paper on bottom of kiln?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cherylka

Shelf paper on bottom of kiln?

Post by cherylka »

I just got my brand new Cress glass kiln, I've been using my ceramic kiln. Unfortunately, they forgot the shelf for the bottom. Can I lay shelf paper right on the bottom of the kiln to fire a load, or do I have to wait for the shop to open next week to get the shelf?

Thanks,
not very patient in San Carlos
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

You really should have the shelf one or two inches off the bottom of the kiln. If the shelves you have for your ceramic kiln will fit into your new glass kiln you are better off using a shelf from them until you can get a new one even if it does not make use of the whole area of the new kiln.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

While it is ideal to have the shelves off the floor, if you are anxious to try your kiln, and the projects are not more than a few layers thick and smaller than a couple of square feet, I'd go for it. I have done many firings on ss sheets resting on a kiln floor. I assume the floor is brick, and if it is and your paper is thin, you are going to pick up an impression of the brick through the paper. Just treat your pre shelf loads as shakedown firings, and save the masterpieces for later.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

do not forget to kilnwash the bottom of the kiln first. i have had a misfire where the glass got too hot and seeped thnrough the thinfire and is stuck to the mullite shelf. rosanna