Tony's kiln gods are being cruel and taketh my plate

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tom suter

Tony's kiln gods are being cruel and taketh my plate

Post by tom suter »

I have just fired using Spectrum glass a 12" plate red white and blue useing opalized glass. Fired on a clear base 400-1100 5min soak ,1100-1280 60dph 25 soak, 400 -1465 10 min soak.flash to 1100 150 - 965 55 min anneal off takes 8 hours to reach room temp. First fusing excellent. Tacked on stars same fiing schedule but only to 1400 excellent. Put it in a stainless plate mold went 400 to 1175 saok 10 min. Looked excellent. Put it in the plate stand early am and went to bed this morning it is in 2 pieces. What is strange the way it broke. It went at a 30 degree angle from the right edge. It got to the field of blue just nicked it then went almost straigh up. I have done this plate twice with it breaking the first time while in the stainless mold. The mpold you sag into its under a inch deep. Cant any body say why. I cnt' let the gods completely win. I am tempeted to use some BE glass and see if I get better results. The crack is wierd. you can see at the following place looked in cracked album.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... omsfoolery

thanks Tom
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Tom, you didn't say what you did for annealing the plate after slumping. I would suggest that you take a more conservative route with three layers and stress concentrations caused by the tack-fused stars.

Try a 960 degree soak for 45 minutes then 100 deg/hr to 750 then off. That will control the descent through the annealing range and hopefully remove the stress caused by the protruding tack-fused elements.

You might also consider slowing your ramp up because of the tack fused elements. Maybe 300 deg/hr.

Tony

BTW: what did you offer the kiln gods? obviously not enough...
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Glenda Kronke

Post by Glenda Kronke »

Tom & Tony,
When I go to Tom's photo album it says "0" photos in cracked album and won't let me open it. I viewed all the other photo albums (?) what did I do wrong?
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I couldn't open it either Glenda. But now it's there.

From the look of it the crack initiates along the blue/red - blue/white joint. I stand by my original recommendation that you need to be more conservative with your annealing.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun