Hey, where'd it go?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Melissa Terman

Hey, where'd it go?

Post by Melissa Terman »

This never happended before:

After using a preferred preprogrammed firing schedule, when I opened my Jen-Ken Maxi Fuser (13" round shelf), I found 2 small jewelry pieces, fully formed, at the bottom of the kiln (under the kiln shelf). Stats: 2 layers of BE @ 3mm with fine silver surface inclusions (everything glued into place with water-diluted Elmer's). I've performed several firings similar to this one and THIS never happened before.
Either someone has the answer, or, I fear that I am insane.

Completely baffled and never needed pills before (now?),

Melissa
Melissa Terman
Brock

Re: Hey, where'd it go?

Post by Brock »

Melissa Terman wrote:This never happended before:

After using a preferred preprogrammed firing schedule, when I opened my Jen-Ken Maxi Fuser (13" round shelf), I found 2 small jewelry pieces, fully formed, at the bottom of the kiln (under the kiln shelf). Stats: 2 layers of BE @ 3mm with fine silver surface inclusions (everything glued into place with water-diluted Elmer's). I've performed several firings similar to this one and THIS never happened before.
Either someone has the answer, or, I fear that I am insane.

Completely baffled and never needed pills before (now?),

Melissa
It's the dreaded Jewelry Dance, a little known kiln phenomena. They like to cavort and sometimes carelessly spin themselves right off the shelf.

George Balanchine