Fusing & Glue

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

vanpool

Fusing & Glue

Post by vanpool »

I just purchased my first kiln about two weeks ago. So far I am fusing small projets and scrap glass to get a "feel" of the kiln. I have a question about using glue to hold glass in place. I made a small coaster project, and I glued the top piece to the bottom piece to keep the overhang consistant. the final product looks like there are bubbles where the glue may have been. I used "Welbond" glue, would that cause a problem

Garry
dee

Re: Fusing & Glue

Post by dee »

vanpool wrote:I just purchased my first kiln about two weeks ago. So far I am fusing small projets and scrap glass to get a "feel" of the kiln. I have a question about using glue to hold glass in place. I made a small coaster project, and I glued the top piece to the bottom piece to keep the overhang consistant. the final product looks like there are bubbles where the glue may have been. I used "Welbond" glue, would that cause a problem

Garry
hi gary - alot of people use elmer's glue - just a very SMALL dab - you can use either the original white glue or the new blue gel - my personal perference is the gel - dries clear and i haven't had problems if i take a couple of days to work on a shelf full of things, but remember you only need a VERY SMALL dab ;)

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
JoanB

Post by JoanB »

I find the key to successfully glueing projects is not so much which glue you use, but WHERE you put it. I use a tiny dab, on a toothpick, and put it as close to the edge of the glass that is being glued as possible. This prevents bubbles and residue being trapped under the glass after firing.

JoanB
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

I took a class recently at Corning and we were using super glue, not the gel. I have been attaching lots of pieces and stringers, not too discrimating either( a nice way to put a wee bit sloppy at times) Works for me

She who Goes up and down stairs
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Gerry,

I use watered-down white glue from Dollar General Store when I'm working with opaque glass. However, if I'm working with Baroque or dichro glass I use Fusemasters.

Whatever glue you decide to use, be sure to vent your kiln to about 1000 degrees.

Judy
LesleyNolan

Post by LesleyNolan »

I use elmers glue diluted with water 50/50. As mentioned before, you do have to use just a tad. If you use too much you can create carbon bubbles. This is where as the glue burns off, the carbon residue is trapped in the glass. The bubbles are black/silver.
To prevent the bubbles use only the smallest amount to secure your pieces and hold in the 1100 - 1200 range for about 30 min to make sure that all the glue burns out before fuse. Also if you go slowly up in the first place it helps.
In my work with lots of little pieces I have to glue them. They are usually on top of the base glass which also prevents glue bubbles.
I have never used super glue but I know that elmers is cheaper!
Hope this helps,
Lesley
ernest porcelli

Glue?

Post by ernest porcelli »

i use elmer's for some projects, but what i found to work the best to get large pieces (25x25) into by kiln is scotch tape 3M majic tape.
tape the glass on the bottom ,use fiber paper, almost all my works have clear top glass,so i use it(top glass) to slide the taped glass into the kiln , like it was a pizza pie.this i've done for years. i've also used the tape between both layers, no problem,if you are taping both layers, card board will be used to slide the glass into the kiln, just don't use the tape on the top. good luck, by the way it helps to cut the top piece of glass 1/8 " bigger ep
-EP