Auto rear view mirror glue

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

Auto rear view mirror glue

Post by Paul Tarlow »

I think I read once that the little tubes of glue you can be to re-affix your rearview mirror are UV glue.

If so, will it work glass-to-glass? Both pieces are clear and as cold as it has been here, the Texas sun is as bright as ever.

Thanks,
Paul
RobinE

Post by RobinE »

Hi Paul:

I use UV glue and have a UV curing light that I got through Ed Hoy's. Even though I live in Arizona, just as I plan to cure the UV glue, a cloud will pass by. Best to read recommendations on the UV glue you plan to purchase so you know best temperatures and how much time you have for proper curing.

Both pieces of glass being clear is the best situation for the UV glues I have used.

Robin
Robin Evans
Robin Evans Studio
Colorado, USA
http://www.robinevansstudio.com
Tony Smith

Re: Auto rear view mirror glue

Post by Tony Smith »

Paul Tarlow wrote:I think I read once that the little tubes of glue you can be to re-affix your rearview mirror are UV glue.

If so, will it work glass-to-glass? Both pieces are clear and as cold as it has been here, the Texas sun is as bright as ever.

Thanks,
Paul
Mirrors are not bonded with a UV glue but with a catalyzed acrylic adhesive. Loctite Speedbonder 312 is one of the most popular. Look at McMaster-Carr's online catalog page 3142 http://www.mcmaster.com

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Tony Smith wrote:
Paul Tarlow wrote:I think I read once that the little tubes of glue you can be to re-affix your rearview mirror are UV glue.

Thanks,
Paul
Mirrors are not bonded with a UV glue but with a catalyzed acrylic adhesive. Loctite Speedbonder 312 is one of the most popular. Look at McMaster-Carr's online catalog page 3142 http://www.mcmaster.com

Tony
What's the easiest-to-find/buy UV glue?
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Paul Tarlow wrote: What's the easiest-to-find/buy UV glue?
If you order from McMaster-Carr, you can find/buy any of the UV glues in their catalog (all Loctite I believe).

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
scooter riegelsperger

Post by scooter riegelsperger »

Paul,
Loctite 312,324,325 with 7075 activator. I use it all the time sets up in seconds no UV. If you can wait untill 1-24,1-25 I'll bring some to Austin for the adv. powder class. When you cement, make sure you remove mirror from tab. Cement tab only, then reattatch mirror after tab is cured.
Scooter
Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

scooterr309 wrote:Paul,
Loctite 312,324,325 with 7075 activator. I use it all the time sets up in seconds no UV. If you can wait untill 1-24,1-25 I'll bring some to Austin for the adv. powder class. When you cement, make sure you remove mirror from tab. Cement tab only, then reattatch mirror after tab is cured.
Scooter
Thanks -- I'll pass on to my daughter's teacher -- he's the one who needed the info.

Glad to hear you'll be in the class this month -- should be a lot of fun.

- Paul