Cold Kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Bert Weiss wrote:I have worked for many years in a cold climate with various degrees of auxillary heat, from none to some.

I have never experienced a problem!! I am curious to know what the controller would read at below zero. I guess I never noticed that.
Bert,

Your industrial kiln may not have a problem with below 0 temps, but the Bartlett Controllers are not designed to deal with negative numbers.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

It was ten below here this morning, but my studio was a toasty 45 degrees when I came in. My two cents on this thread is in agreement with Berts, that the elements see the difference as negligible. Car headlights coming on at ten below and getting hotter than kiln elements don't fail more in the winter (at least to my anecdotal observations), and their filament thickness is measured in thousandths. I used to work in a completely unheated space and summer and winter the kilns worked the same.
K Okahashi

Post by K Okahashi »

I will echo Barbara and say "Ahha!" :) (Barbara you crack me up!) I'm new to this cold tundra up here and well, it can be downright COLD! I've been keeping my wall heaters on in the shop because it's just too cold to go in there otherwise. (We also have a full bathroom in there and I was worried about the pipes freezing over).

Thank you o kiln and controller gurus!
PDXBarbara

Re: Cold Kiln

Post by PDXBarbara »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote:
PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:
When cold my controler gives me error message

I sit with kiln a few mins as temp warms up ( elements on )

Then controler works Ok

B4 that with error mesage kiln is on full so I manually turn on + off

Brian
Hi Brian....I'm picturing you sitting with your kiln a few minutes, & hugging it in your brawny arms to warm it up... How du yu treeet brns?tm
xxoo,
BB (errr.... the PDX BB that is...)
Barbara Bader
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hi guys: I thought it was only cold in Canada..... (just kidding). Now that you guys sound like you have exhausted the question about cold vs kiln - it's just about time for me to start playing with my sandblaster. Any problems with cold vs sandblaster/glass/compressor. I know I asked the question at the conference and was told that it won't hurt the compressor, but how does it affect the glass/sand??? Any suggestions for me??? Tony???????
Kathie
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

Cold will lead to condensation, do you have a water trap on your line? If not, it's a great idea. I know people wirh iron pipe running up and down their studio walls with a water trap at the bottom of each loop. It's especially important if your blasting with an air fed hood in a booth. Brock
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

I have a water trap on my pressure pot. I bought the outfit used (pot, case, compressor) from Ken Harvey (don't know if you know him). He had mentioned that the sand can be hard on the hoses too if the hoses are cold. I don't have to or need to blast in the cold (as I haven't made an attempt at it yet - I can wait) so do you suggest that I just wait to get started on it until it starts to warm up??? I have only used a blaster a couple of times briefly (your class and 2 others), so I don't know what I'm doing.
k
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yes, I know Ken. I think unless you were going to blast outside, you'll be fine. It would have to be pretty cold to damage the hoses from normal blasting. If your workspace is heated at all, you'll be okay. I think. Brock
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

OK, I will give it a try. I will buy a new water trap, close the garage door while I have a heater going and then when I think its not too stiff (cold), open the garage doors and go for it.
Thanks (AGAIN) Brock. I'm really pumped now. I finally finished my new studio. I haven't done any glass work in probably 7 months (except for Roger Thomas course in September). Look out world.... cuz there's going to be glass flying in my studio this weekend!!!! : :D :D :D :D
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle