Overspray vs. Devit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sean Albert

Overspray vs. Devit

Post by Sean Albert »

What is the most commonly used or should I say best performing overspray to use when fusing Bullseye glass. I'm having devit problems. I've cleaned the glass with 70% isopropyle alcohol, and have attempted to clean my kilns enviornment by high firing and venting. Still devits. So I must resort to overspay. What do the pros use. Thanks Sean.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Overspray vs. Devit

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

sean wrote:What is the most commonly used or should I say best performing overspray to use when fusing Bullseye glass. I'm having devit problems. I've cleaned the glass with 70% isopropyle alcohol, and have attempted to clean my kilns enviornment by high firing and venting. Still devits. So I must resort to overspay. What do the pros use. Thanks Sean.
Most stuff seams 2 work

What happens is the stuff is a low temp flux so the glass is 2 liquid 2 grow devit

If U realy wanna know more have a look in archives I n my buddies post a lot of stuff on devit

I use a lead borosilicate glass enamel

There is a borax recipie hiding on this site somewhere

Dont get it on the shelf or on the glass which pools on2 the shelf

Brian
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

rodney

Post by rodney »

[quote="Brian and Jenny Blanthorn"][

What happens is the stuff is a low temp flux so the glass is 2 liquid 2 grow devit

thanks for this info,,,,,,,can you tel me what different result you will get with the borosilicate than you would get from the borax, and is it dangerous, where do you get it, and how do you apply it

how are the pebbles coming along, im sure you have sold enough to buy a castle

thanks
rodney
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

sean wrote:What is the most commonly used or should I say best performing overspray to use when fusing Bullseye glass. I'm having devit problems. I've cleaned the glass with 70% isopropyle alcohol, and have attempted to clean my kilns enviornment by high firing and venting. Still devits. So I must resort to overspay. What do the pros use. Thanks Sean.
Sean, I have to question why you're still finding devit on your glass... After wiping down your glass with isopropyl, are you really buffing it (use quite a bit of elbow grease, here) with a clean cloth? And are you paying attention to your devit-causing firing zone in your schedules? Some colors promote devit after a couple of firings - are you repeatedly using these colors?

Better to take care of the problem rather than to simply cover it up. I use BE, clean with isopropyl, vent my kilns, fire a ridiculous number of times and have learned to avoid devit for the most part. You can too!

Catharine
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

rodney wrote:
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote:[

thanks for this info,,,,,,,can you tel me what different result you will get with the borosilicate than you would get from the borax, and is it dangerous, where do you get it, and how do you apply it

how are the pebbles coming along, im sure you have sold enough to buy a castle

thanks
rodney
Well I cant realy tell U but mine shure has lead in it

I am still some way off buying a Castle

Sales on med 2 small pebs was slow in 03 at least B4 Dec

But Big Boulder sales were very good

Sold biggest in New York

So Marty better watch out

Note, no rooms have been stolen in the manufacture of our glass

Brian
Sean Albert

Post by Sean Albert »

Catharine, what's the weather like in Seattle right now? I just moved from Seattle to Alfred (upstate NY), very small town here, I miss all the good food in Seattle.

I would prefer to fix rather then cover up the devit problem also. I'm currently a graduate student and have access to school kilns that are older then I am. I've replaced all the elements, and the kiln shelf is elevated in the kiln so it sits very close to the pyrometer. I'm positive the glass is being fired at the temp. the controller is reading. I beleive the kiln is powerful enough to get to the desired temp in the amount of time I want. My program dosen't hold for to long at temps that cause devit, at least I don't think it does. I'm not in the studio right now so I don't have my schedual with me. I can get that Friday. I've done a few tests and the thin (50) clear has been the problem. The kiln doesn't have vents, are they nessesary, I've fused in kilns without vents and had no problems.

Thanks, Sean.