Applying for a Pilchuk Scholarship

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brock

Post by Brock »

It's SUPPOSED to be a lottery, but I gotta say, there's sure some lucky people out there! I usually drop in several times over the summer, either volunteering, ot just hanging out, and I see the same students over and over. The most egregious example is a completely talentless person with a penchant for marrying Coca Cola heirs. The staff run screaming whenever she arives. Money talks.

Kathy, your name will go in the lottery for your first pick. If you aren't selected it'll go in the lottery for your second pick. Keep pestering, the selection process can be influenced by enthusiasm. Good luck. Brock
Brock

Post by Brock »

And I'll leave it to you to discern the difference between enthusiasm and harassment. Brock
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Brock wrote:Mosquitos, spiders and cold showers are all part of the fun!

Don't forget bears and hangovers. Oh yeah, and the walk up the hill. Brock
Ohhhhh, the hangovers....Mmm yeah, combined with the hike back to the cabins...ouch!
And Charlie....how did you survive the food for 8 weeks of the summer (sorry Carmen!) but I was craving a real meal after the 2 1/2 weeks of almost totally vegi. Although, those of us lucky enough with cars got to make the long run into town for a respite of beer, burgers and thai food.
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Thanks Brock: So after the beginning of March, if I don't hear from them, I should start the pestering process (or harassment whichever I feel is the most effective)?? Are they pretty good about letting you know right away if your not picked?? Sounds to me like I need to go cuz it will be a great experience with regards to the glass but it also sounds like a health farm (ie, I could lose a few pounds and get healthier - can't remember the last time I took a decent walk up a hill.... oh, oh...) Doesn't matter, if they pick me, I will HAPPY :lol: HAPPY :lol: ....
Any rich Coca Cola dealers out there lookin for a way to spend their money??????
K
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

I'm kinda out of the loop on the notification process, but yeah, I'd just phone them up and ask. If anyone cares, the food at Arrowmont is incredible. Brock
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Thanks again for your help Brock. I will bug them in March.
Hope your enjoying the snow!!!! :P
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

Brock wrote:Mosquitos, spiders and cold showers are all part of the fun!

Don't forget bears and hangovers. Oh yeah, and the walk up the hill. Brock

And MICE! Don't forget the mice... Their crunching away on all the snacks you've hidden away in your cabin can keep you awake at night. Not to mention their skittering across your covers while you sleep, if you sleep...

Catharine
Brock

Post by Brock »

And MICE! Don't forget the mice... Their crunching away on all the snacks you've hidden away in your cabin can keep you awake at night. Not to mention their skittering across your covers while you sleep, if you sleep...

Catharine

Snacks! You had snacks? Mice don't nibble beer bottles. Brock
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

The walk up the hill is an attempt to offset all the calories consumed downhill- and I don't just mean Carmen Cortez's work! :roll: Pilchuck fitness program...

Slides. It's all about the slides. If your slides don't sing, if they don't pop off the screen, forget it; don't waste their time and yours. Or do it anyway and get your practice in... Pactice filling out paperwork, writing a check, getting rejected... it's all valuable experience. Also if you qualify for their diversity scholarship apply for that. Less competition...

The class and it's contents are important reasons to go but the experience of being stuck in the woods with a bunch of crazed glass heads is a beautiful thing. No matter where in the world they are from, everyone there speaks glass. The retreat from the "realworld" has a very profound impact and the time that you spend with other glassers leads to very interesting lifelong bonds. You learn about glass, you learn about others, and you learn about yourself. Boot camp for glass.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Brock

Post by Brock »

I just got my catalogue, and Klaus' class isn't even juried!

Send in your application and your money, and pray. Brock
Glenda Kronke

Pilchuck classes

Post by Glenda Kronke »

Speaking of putting in applications, are your chances better if you say, complete 5 different applications and send in $$ for each one?

In other words, If you applied and listed 3 choices, then applied again listing some of the same choices (additional $$) then applied again listing different choices, etc. would your chances be better?

There are at least 2 classes from each session that I would be interested in taking and was wondering if I should overlap some of my choices on multiple applications.

-waiting with checkbook in hand-
Brock

Re: Pilchuck classes

Post by Brock »

Glenda Kronke wrote:Speaking of putting in applications, are your chances better if you say, complete 5 different applications and send in $$ for each one?

In other words, If you applied and listed 3 choices, then applied again listing some of the same choices (additional $$) then applied again listing different choices, etc. would your chances be better?

There are at least 2 classes from each session that I would be interested in taking and was wondering if I should overlap some of my choices on multiple applications.

-waiting with checkbook in hand-
Hmmm . . . see above. Money talks. I don't know if that would work.
Does buying lots of lottery tickets mean you'll win?

It won't work now, anyway, the Pilchuck police are everywhere. They monitor this board! They see everything! They know all!
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Sending in multible applications doesnt work...tried that many years ago and they called me on it. :roll:
Send Brock lots of money...he's got pull. yeah thats it.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Doug Randall wrote:Sending in multible applications doesnt work...tried that many years ago and they called me on it. :roll:
Send Brock lots of money...he's got pull. yeah thats it.
Yes, that's it!

And remember, the more you send, the more I get.

Brock (No Guarantees) Craig
Barb

Another cool place to study.....

Post by Barb »

Red Deer College in Alberta! They just came out with their summer brochre too:

http://www.rdc.ab.ca/rdcimages/document ... ochure.pdf

Including fused rollups with Steve Klein and other good kiln teachers....

Barb
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

The most memorable part of my experience was the performance art done on the last night of the season. 1000 lb of molten glass, 40 students, all of the Pilchuck staff, and 6 teachers.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Carol Cohen

Post by Carol Cohen »

Bert, were you there the year some guy demonstrated glassblowing in the nude?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Carol Cohen wrote:Bert, were you there the year some guy demonstrated glassblowing in the nude?
I heard about that, lots of women with paddles to protect him.

I also heard he chickened out and wore undies.

Brock
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Carol Cohen wrote:Bert, were you there the year some guy demonstrated glassblowing in the nude?
not that memorable.

However, the blowers there work in tanktops, shorts and Birkenstocks which in a couple of words is macho and stupid. Not too far off the German blowers whose company supplies 2 beers a workshift and after that they have to pay.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Only two juried classes. That's amazing. It means that all kilnworking classes will have an element of instruction for beginners in them.

Kathie -- call them up in a week or two, once they've got your application into the computer, and tell them you want to add a third choice. You probably want to talk to Rebecca.

If you want performance art or potentially naked glassblowing demos, go fourth session when the de la Torre brothers are teaching.

I think the food is great. Of course, I grew up eating summer camp food all summer, every summer of my childhood. I wouldn't know about hangovers. SOME PEOPLE, (one I know of anyway) get to drive up the hill.

Another option, if you are young and resilient, is to apply for a staff position. These people are kitchen help, librarian, maintenance, shop coordinators, store keepers, etc. They actually get paid and all of them are artists. One of the maintenance staff had a full page add in "American Craft" for an upcoming show while she was there last summer. Most staff members are blowers, naturally but not necessarily. They get access to studios on Sundays and between sessions. Some are there all summer, some for only one session. Many of them come back year after year. I'm sorry I don't know the process for applying to staff.

ch