NGR time again...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Catharine Newell

NGR time again...

Post by Catharine Newell »

I got MY refusal letter from New Glass Review this afternoon! Ah well. Make that three in a row... Does anyone here have better news from Corning???

Catharine
Doug Randall

Re: NGR time again...

Post by Doug Randall »

Catharine Newell wrote:I got MY refusal letter from New Glass Review this afternoon! Ah well. Make that three in a row... Does anyone here have better news from Corning???

Catharine
Have'nt recieved my refusal letter yet...but it should arrive any day now. I stopped counting this year, but with luck we should get accepted this decade.
Brock

Post by Brock »

I must have tried 15 yearws in a row before I gave up.

Hmmm . . . what if I crushed up 1000 light bulbs and used the frit to spell out the words of an ecological diatribe about dwindling resources. Brock
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Re Brock's idea of crushing light bulbs.

Probably the judges would take a dim view of it seeing as the bulbs didn't work. Kevin in Tofino
Dani

Post by Dani »

Next year's calendar should be the Salon de Re-fuses..... or is that re-fusers. All the rejects from Corning. Har! Something good to look at for a change. :idea:
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Brock wrote:I must have tried 15 yearws in a row before I gave up.

Hmmm . . . what if I crushed up 1000 light bulbs and used the frit to spell out the words of an ecological diatribe about dwindling resources. Brock
Brock

In order 2 win prizes ur light bulbs must go on n off

Brian
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Got my "not a chance" letter yesterday too.

Amy
Sean Albert

Post by Sean Albert »

I was accepted to NGR, I'm not sure if it was for blown work or fused work, I sent images of both. No light bulbs here. Fused work will have it's day sooner than later.

Sean
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Congratulations! Wow! Real people actually get in. hahahaha
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Sean.....can you give us a visual example of what was accepted?

Congrat's man!
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

Sean Albert wrote:I was accepted to NGR, I'm not sure if it was for blown work or fused work, I sent images of both. No light bulbs here. Fused work will have it's day sooner than later.

Sean

EXCELLENT, SEAN!!! Wonderful news! Will you share photos of your submissions?

Congratulations,
Catharine
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:Congratulations! Wow! Real people actually get in. hahahaha
If I remember correctly, Susan Taylor Glasgow got in last year with her kiln fired vessels,. Her work is exceptional and she's a real (nice) person too :lol:

It can happen. Just gotta have the kind of content NGR is looking for. Edgy, hip, thought provoking... or just plain provocative? I don't know the formula.

Congratulations Sean. Can't wait to see what was accepted, and I hope it was kiln formed. Regardless, KUDOS!!!
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Also Rene Culler got in last year w/ a kilnworked installation and Dana Zed has gotten in the last three years (Ibelieve) with Kilnwork. Gonna go check my mail right now!
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Brock wrote:I must have tried 15 yearws in a row before I gave up.

You know Smithson's Spiral Jetty in the Salt Lake is suppose to be showing its age. I saw him give a slide talk about it when I was in college. Yawn.

I would think that if you could score a few tons of scrap glass somewhere, and give it a little thought, you could come up with a pretext for enhancing the Jetty with glass. Extend the metaphor if you will. Maybe even get a grant for it. Then screw NGR, you could be in Art In America.

Which reminds me of a hypoth. question I want to post in Spab's place.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Don Burt wrote:You know Smithson's Spiral Jetty in the Salt Lake is suppose to be showing its age. I saw him give a slide talk about it when I was in college. Yawn.

I would think that if you could score a few tons of scrap glass somewhere, and give it a little thought, you could come up with a pretext for enhancing the Jetty with glass. Extend the metaphor if you will. Maybe even get a grant for it. Then screw NGR, you could be in Art In America....
Not only showing it's age, but showing period. Water levels so low that it's exposed. The salt crystal formations are really cool though on this piece...and so it evolves.

This guys' Spiral Jetty, Christo's wrapping escapades among other Earth Works progenitors never did float my boat...but you gotta admit, they are smart marketing folks and really good funds generators. Do a really big, big thing you can take aerial photo's of and sell coffee table books. Hmmm....

There is one really cool big sculptural piece out in the Desert west of Salt Lake (can't ...like 6 feet in diameter, with slots and holes oriented along it that during solstices and equinoxes (sp?) line up perfectly with solar location that then creates a light show in the tube. I like that kinda thing where it actually has some interactive connecting the dots kinda thing going on.

Okay, I'm going to Spab's place too...then I gotta quit goofing off. I'm pretty sure I have work to do :shock:
Brock

Post by Brock »

I went to this very cool sculpture in Seattle once. Don't know the name, maybe Wind Park? I think it's on public land on a military base. Anyone know? Anyway, as I recall, it's a series of tubes, open ended pipes, vertically mounted, rising like totems out of the ground. I think they have holes and shapes cut out of them, not sure about that. On a windy day, they resonate like a Clarinet, or an Oboe. Other sounds too. Very neat, Nature's orchestra.

Also, an incredible sculptor in the Seattle area, Buster Simpson. This guy should be a National Treasure. His large scale works usually involve kinetic energy, tide, light, wind, some kind of motion. I can't find his web site, I've been on it in the past, but the work is amazing. And, he's the only person to have been at Woodstock, and the first session of Pilchuck.

Shazam!!
Brock

Post by Brock »

Sean Albert

Post by Sean Albert »

I've sent an e-mail to the website to be considered for the gallery. It's an image of the fused work I sent to NGR. They don't tell you what they accept, so I'm not sure if the fused work is in or if it's my blown work. You can also check out my gallery's website http://www.vetriglass.com/

Go to artists, Sean Albert, scrapbook.

The fused work is at the end of my section so keep clicking next image.
The set of six wall mounted amber panels is what I sent to NGR. The image on this website is distorted, they should be square, and the detail is sidways. What can you do.

Oh and the park in Seattle on a military base is called Discovery Park, I think.[/url]
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Sean I know we were supposed to be looking at the fused piece but your "Subtle Bottles" caught me before I got there--they are awesome! I love the blue and the green especially. In fact the color palette you work with (at least as its represented at Vetri) is wonderful--my favorite colors! Congratulations on getting into the NGR!
Amy
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

http://www.vetriglass.com/artists/sa_10.html

Not that I don't think that we should scroll through the body of work shown, but here's the addy to get to the fused stuff.

I've spent time at Discovery Park, but haven't seen the sculpture you describe Brock, but will search it out next time I am there. Sounds fabulous and the kind of big public art thing I can connect to. Would really like to see some of these Buster Simpson projects.

Here I am goofing off again. Got one more piece to clean, assemble and load into the kiln. Then I can fire it. It's 5 pm and I'm here reading posts and posting instead of working at the work table. Actually I just got back from the park with the dog. We were schussing down the sledding hill together. Maybe I should give in and just finish this load tomorrow.

I am absolutely the best procrastinator I know.