dinnerware

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

robertb

dinnerware

Post by robertb »

I need to make place setting for 4 (soup ,salad ans dinner plate) is one layer of glass hearty enough. Price is a factor for this customer. Would it make more sense to pas on this commisssion?
robertb
robert
Brock

Post by Brock »

Personally, I don't like the look of one layer thingies. Ya gotta get paid for your work, so if you're having doubts, I'd drop it. Customers with pricing issues shouldn't be commissioning custom work! Send 'em to Pier 1. Brock
robertb

Post by robertb »

Thanks Brock I think you are right.
robertb
robert
Pam

Post by Pam »

I have a related question about slumping dinner plates, soup bowls etc. If you slump into a mold, the bottom of the piece will be flat. All the plates and bowls in my cupboard have rims on the bottom - useful for stacking, grabbing etc. I'm stumped about how to make a plate or bowl that is flat on top and has a rim on the bottom. Any suggestions?
Brock

Post by Brock »

I can't find a catalog, but I believe Bullseye has molds like this. Brock
Pam

Post by Pam »

Thanks Brock. My BE catalogue is out in the workshop. I'll take a look later this morining.
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

I recently completed a mold of an oval shaped platter in which I carved out a rim for the bottom. I'll be firing and then slumping with this mold within the next week, so I'll post how it works out, with greater details if it's successful. I hope it is, because the procedure for making the clay mold is very simple.

Cheers,
Suzan
Marc Demian

Post by Marc Demian »

C&R Loo had molds with rim feet last time I was there. Don't know if they are in their catalog yet. Marc
Pam

Post by Pam »

Hi Marc,

I was at CR Loo yesterday and looking at their molds is what started me wondering. The molds themselves have nice bottom rims, but that's not where the glass goes. The ones in the BE catalogue may work, but I'd like to see the results of one before I spend the $$.

Suzan - I look forward to hearing how your mold works out!
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

How about using a circle of fiber paper in the bottom of the mold or drop-out to make a rim? (see Bullseye's kiln-carving tip sheet)
lissa

Post by lissa »

A lot of the molds made by Dragon in South Africa have rims. In an earlier thread people reported success with them. I couldn't find a direct link to them though it is in the archives someplace, but CR Loo carries them, here's a link:

http://www.crloo.com/PDF_Page/PG207-218.pdf

I know other people carry them too.

lissa.
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

Well, I tried slumping an oval shaped blank into the mold I built with a rim, and strangely, the mold broke into 2 pieces, while the glass remained in tact.

I fired at 300 dph to 1225, hold 45. The mold must have broken during the first segment, since the glass was barely formed. It shows a slight outline of where the rim should be at the 2 short sides, and it slumped a bit at the two break points in the mold.

The only reason I can think of is that I made the mold too thick. It was 1/2" thick after the bisque firing. Oh well, I'm trying again, this time I've rolled the slab to 1/4" thickness.

Cheers,
Suzan