Slump stretch marks again

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lissa

Slump stretch marks again

Post by lissa »

I have been getting severe marks on the underside of the glass in my slumping runs. They look like stretch marks or wrinkles. All the pieces are 2 layer BE transparents, all were fired to fuse on the same Bulls Eye kilnwashed shelf in one fire. the kiln wash was not fresh, but I always do multiple firings on the same wash until I get scratches or nicks. I was using a fairly aggressive schedule for the first piece (650F p/h to 1225), so I slowed way down for the next (150F p/h to 1225), so I rewashed the mold and tried somewhere in between (400F p/h to 1300). All three have undersides totally covered with the texture. Pretty frustrating, any thoughts? I know this has been addressed before but most of the tips in the archives were to adjust firing schedules and that's not doing it here.

lissa.
Brock

Re: Slump stretch marks again

Post by Brock »

What are you slumping on? You mentioned shelves, but not molds. I wouldn't go as hot, for one thing. Try slumping at 1150 with a hold. Brock
lissa

Post by lissa »

Bullseye ceramic ball mold with BE kilnwash. Thanks, I'll try lower a temp today and see if that takes care of this. Thing is I have slumped who knows how many times with no problem. I am wondering if it is somehow the shelf they were fused on.

lissa.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Depending on how well you finish your shelf, you can certainly pick up texture off it, but if you're talking about those stretch marks on the curve of the slump, that is probably from a rapid slump. Low and slow. Brock
lissa

Post by lissa »

Yeah, I finish my shelves very carefully and there is almost no discernable texture left on the glass. I was wondering more if it is some sort of contamination, like I said, this has never happened in the past, even going to 1225 at ~350F p/h. I'll see what happens today, this glass is from a freshly washed shelf. Four pieces got it and I am having to change my design ideas to incorporate a blasted back. It'll keep me on my toes.

thanks for your help.

lissa.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Lissa, for what it's worth, I bend 1/4" x 20" pieces in BE ball molds with this schedule.

250 dph to 100 no hold. Ooops. I did indeed mean 1000 F. thanks for pointing that out Jim.
100 dph to 1200 no hold.
Then cool with anneal as usual. this works well for two reasons. I get full slump with differing depths of ball molds in the same firing and it's such a cool and slow bend that there are no "stretch marks" or mold marks created. The back of the piece retains the texture it had from full fuse.

Top firing fiber kiln with the pieces sitting 6" to 8" below the elements.
Last edited by Cynthia on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Cynthia wrote:Lissa, for what it's worth, I bend 1/4" x 20" pieces in BE ball molds with this schedule.

250 dph to 100 no hold.

elements.
Did you mean 1000?
Jim
lissa

Post by lissa »

Thanks Cynthia. I like the sound of that schedule, similar to what I normally use but slower. Today I am trying Brock's suggestion. I'll see tomorrow morning. My kiln has top and side elements and is brick. I would love to see this problem disappear back into the thin air it came out of!
lissa.
lissa

Post by lissa »

It happened again. I ramped up at 200F to 1150, 45 min. hold. It did not slump completely, which is fine, but got the texture, not fine. All these pieces have BE clear as the bottom layer, could I have gotten an 'off' sheet? This has never been a problem. Arg.

lissa.
Brock

Post by Brock »

lissa wrote:It happened again. I ramped up at 200F to 1150, 45 min. hold. It did not slump completely, which is fine, but got the texture, not fine. All these pieces have BE clear as the bottom layer, could I have gotten an 'off' sheet? This has never been a problem. Arg.

lissa.
Hmmm . . . there's a couple of things you could try.

If your blank is the same size as the mold, (in other words, if your blank is suspended by the very rim of the mold) make it a little smaller, so the the blank rests against the interior side walls of the mold, not the rim.

If you have the equipment, grinder, or preferably, wet belt sander, put a SMALL bevel on the bottom edge of your blank. It doesn't have to be much, a 1/16" is enough. This will help the glass "slide" down the mold.

Brock
lissa

Post by lissa »

Aha! Very interesting. I used a lap wheel to finish these edges before slumping, so it's a pretty sharp edge on the surface of the mold. They are sitting inside the mold completely, but the sharp edge really holds them in place, it is hard to move the glass to get it level. So, maybe it is holding onto to its original position in the mold and resisting settling into the slump. I bet that's it. Hope so. Thanks for the aha moment.

lissa.