torch question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lyn

torch question

Post by Lyn »

I bought a tiny jewlery torch, butane, $10 to start working glass stringers. An improvement over awkward mapp gas one we had. It worked fine for awhile but developed a leak. Now I'm trying to decide between a hothead, which seems to to be as awkward as the mapp or a burn-z-matic with 3ft. hose and regulator, propane, recomended by jewlery guy. I'd like to make marbles or beads in the future but can't afford $100's. Know anything about Burn-z-matic?
http://community.webshots.com/user/lynfeu
Lyn
Ramona, Ca.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i have a hot head that i hook up to a grill tank. i think i paid 20$ for the 3' hose adapter. i bent a piece of copper tubing to an L shape, hose clamped the torch head to that and use a c clamp to attach that assemblage to a table. crude but effective. rosanna
Brock

Post by Brock »

. . . crude but effective. rosanna

Whoa! Rosanna, that may be crude and illegal, not to mention ininsurable.

Tess Tosterone
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

dear tess, all the component parts are ul listed. well, not the copper pipe, but it was just a handy piece of metal to beat into the shape of a stand. rube
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Lyn I would seriously consider saving up for a more powerful torch. I have a Nortel Mid-Range which is what I started with. I'm so glad I did because I ended up doing much more than just the little things I thought I was going to do with it. Seems like a lot of people who start small in glass end up wanting to do more and grow beyond their beginner tools very quickly. If you really think you are going to stay at the hobby level then forget all this and go for the inexpensive torch. Check out the listings at Arrow Springs--its where I got my torch and they were very helpful! http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/torches.html
Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

rosanna gusler wrote:dear tess, all the component parts are ul listed. well, not the copper pipe, but it was just a handy piece of metal to beat into the shape of a stand. rube

Well Rube, nice gadget. I was only partly serious, and have no idea about codes where you are, but anything you do with gas gets inspectors and insurance agents pretty excited. I'm sure you're on top of it.

Isn't it warm?

Brock
fun5oh

Re: torch question

Post by fun5oh »

Lyn wrote:I bought a tiny jewlery torch, butane, $10 to start working glass stringers. An improvement over awkward mapp gas one we had. It worked fine for awhile but developed a leak. Now I'm trying to decide between a hothead, which seems to to be as awkward as the mapp or a burn-z-matic with 3ft. hose and regulator, propane, recomended by jewlery guy. I'd like to make marbles or beads in the future but can't afford $100's. Know anything about Burn-z-matic?
http://community.webshots.com/user/lynfeu
Lyn
Ramona, Ca.
Hi Lyn,
The Hot head is a great torch if you don't want to spend to much, the burn-z-matic on the other hand won't deliver the flame you need for lampworking, something with the nozzle, I think it is more for spot work....... A set up with a fuel/ oxy torch will run around 500.00. A great place for info on lampworking is http://www.wetcanvas.com/

Good luck,
Robin :)
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

[Isn't it warm
Brock[/quote]........WARM!? it is 23stinking deg f here and windy! bleaugh. rosanna
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

I have a National 8M. It's a very good torch with interchangeable tips for working all sorts of glass. This, I believe, is an advantage that it has over the Minor.
I've heard people say that you can't make marbles on a hot head. However, I know that were I to say that, someone would immediately post pictures of marbles made on a hot head.
Robin was absolutely correct about the great lampworking advice that you will find on Wet Canvas. She should know, she hangs out there a lot... :wink: :wink:
~ Joanne

"What neglected medication made you think THAT was a good idea??"
- me, to myself
lissa

Post by lissa »

National is a great starting torch! Doesn't burn as clean as some of the more pricey torches, but cheap and a reliable with a very good range. You can certainly make marbles on it. I think it is a much better choice than a minor. We may even have one we can part with, I don't see us using it again.

lissa.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

WOW thanks everyone for the international opinion! Nix to the Burn-z, I'll get something I won't grow out of.
I almost hesitate to ask, but straight from the realm of the uninformed, is there a way to modify our oxygen- acetylene system for use with glass? It waits in the barn hoping I will use it for something other than fixing broken pipe coral.
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Yes!
If the hose is good, keep it. If the Ox regulator is good, keep it. Buy a propane regulator with a gauge and run the hose to it. Usually gas runs at around 2-5 and Ox between 5-20 experiment w/ your torch and see what YOU like. Check all connections for leaks using soapy water. Growing bubbles = leaks. NEVER EVER put "stuff" like grease on an Ox line for any reason. Get someone qualified to go over tank, regulator, and torch safety w/ you if you do not already know these things. If I am redundant here w/ my info... oh well. Sometimes you can even get different tips for the oxy-acetylene torch body that are useful for glass work. Good luck!
Oh, some people do use acetylene for glass work but I have no experience with it. I think it's nasty (stinky) stuff.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Cathy Crain

Post by Cathy Crain »

I have a jewelers acetylene set up...will that work if I use a large tip with a wide flame?
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

Most of the flame working I do is with a minor burner. I also have a Hot Head that can be used for stringer work (fusing), but it is almost an over kill for stringers. I am one of those people that has used a Hot Head to make beads and marbles. I would stay away from only propane or acetylene, as they are dirty and the stringer will require cleaning. The MAPP and propane+oxygen systems will burn clean and will not require cleaning before fusing.

Tim
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Thanks Jerry,
This may be the most economical way to go. I have an assortment of tips for the torch I think its #2 I use for pipe coral repair. Any suggestions on which tip to began the experiment? I'd guess small for stringers and dicro strips. If I were to try something a bit larger does it go straight from torch to fiber blanket, than how long till you get it to the kiln to anneal?
I am going to the library today hopefully will find some books that will help me out. Thanks alot, Lyn
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

[quote="jerry flanary"]Yes!
If the hose is good, keep it. If the Ox regulator is good, keep it. Buy a propane regulator with a gauge and run the hose to it. Usually gas runs at around 2-5 and Ox between 5-20 experiment w/ your torch and see what YOU like. Check all connections for leaks using soapy water. Growing bubbles = leaks. NEVER EVER put "stuff" like grease on an Ox line for any reason. Get someone qualified to go over tank, regulator, and torch safety w/ you if you do not already know these things. If I am redundant here w/ my info... oh well. Sometimes you can even get different tips for the oxy-acetylene torch body that are useful for glass work. Good luck!
Oh, some people do use acetylene for glass work but I have no experience with it. I think it's nasty (stinky) stuff.[/quote]

Um, I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that you have to have a hose that is specially made/rated for propane. Propane will eat through the hoses made for acetylene.
[/b]
~ Joanne

"What neglected medication made you think THAT was a good idea??"
- me, to myself