slump shrinkage

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

slump shrinkage

Post by slats »

Help me to understand :roll:
1. Slumped a 'successfully attractive' 18 inch round fused piece BE 1/4 clear with 1/8 celedon green on top plus design into a SS bowl 18 in round with very 'gradually slpoed sides (gr8 shape). Result - slumped distorted - higher on one side...
2. Slumped piece shrunk by one inch.
3. How can I save this? Fuse back flat? at what schedule?
4. If I wanted to use this ss mold for making a sink, how big (diamenter) of a blank should I use go that I end up with enough depth for a sink. (avoiding shrinkage as with this piece?) My slump schedule for this piece (18 inch round , 3/8 inch thick was...200 to 350 15 min soak, 200 to 1050, 1 hr soak, 300 to 1250 20 min soak, 9999 to 960 1 hr soak, 100 to 700 zero soak, end.
Help is gr8ly appreciated..... :wink:
Brock

Re: slump shrinkage

Post by Brock »

It didn't really shrink, it just changed it's plane to conform to the mold. I often adjust the slump while the glass is hot by picking the mold up and gently shaking it until the glass goes where I want. Sometimes it takes several tries. You can slump it back flat and try again, use your normal slump schedule.

My schedule for a bowl slump that size would be

300 DPH to 1000
Hold 30 min.
100 DPH to 1150
Hold 60 min.
100 DPH to 960
Hold 60 min.
100 DPH to 760
Hold 30 min.

There are 8 million firing schedules in the naked city.

To determine the size blank you need to end up with a desired finished size, use a piece of a string or paper. Lay it out in the mold to the desired depth, mark and measure. That will be your blank size. Brock
slats

slump

Post by slats »

Thanks Brock! Q. For example.. If the disk is 20-21 inches (or more) won't it slump OVER the edges of the mold before slumping INTO the mold?
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Doctac,

You will need to start with a mold that is at least the size of your circle. If you start with one larger than the mold it will slump over the mold edge - not desired. Start with a larger mold and do two slump firings, the second one being the mold size you want. Brock's slumping schedule is a good one for 90COE and 96COE and you will get good results. His "Brock Shuffle" was demonstrated up at Red Deer a few years ago, lots of fun.

Good luck.

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com