xerography questions

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mcowdery

xerography questions

Post by mcowdery »

I recently read a message from Wallace Venable on using laser waterslide decal paper for the purpose of including a photographic image onto fused glass. I plan to try this, but does anyone know if the inkjet waterslide paper will work as well? I understand that you copy an image onto the shiny side of the paper,then spray it with a fixative,then dip it briefly in water, and slide it onto the glass.Can you fuse another piece of glass on top of this, or does the image have to be on the top surface of the piece? Also, will a colored image done on this waterslide paper come out colored when fired? I am fairly new to glassworking, and will greatly appreciate help with these questions. Thanks, Melinda
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

The process Wallace talks about,

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... highlight=

is specific to the toner in a Xerox machine or laser jet printer and won't work with an inkjet printer image.

The black xerographic toners contain carbon black and iron oxide which makes up the image Wallace is firing. Not sure what would happen with color xerographic toners.

Inkjet printers use an ink made up of mostly organic dyes that will burn up during firing.

Ron
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

I have only used "laser" decal paper. I think ink-jet decal paper might work, but that they have different sueface finishes. It is possible, however, the the ink-jet paper might melt in the fuser of the printer or copy machine. Both types pf paper cost about the same. If you have ink-jet paper and are willing to risk your printer, please pass along the results.

Color laser toners burn out. I think I reported that on the web page. The only success I have had is with black toner and producing a "sepia" image. Toner is made up of particles.

Ink-jet cartridges use dyes (not pigments), and it is highly unlikely that you will find any that give an image of any sort after fusing. I haven't bothered to try.

Yes, the image can be on the surface or fused between layers. It does not work well if you try to use frit in direct contact with the toner image - the toner surface gets broken.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

I have only used "laser" decal paper. I think ink-jet decal paper might work, but that they have different sueface finishes. It is possible, however, the the ink-jet paper might melt in the fuser of the printer or copy machine. Both types pf paper cost about the same. If you have ink-jet paper and are willing to risk your printer, please pass along the results.

Color laser toners burn out. I think I reported that on the web page. The only success I have had is with black toner and producing a "sepia" image. Toner is made up of particles.

Ink-jet cartridges use dyes (not pigments), and it is highly unlikely that you will find any that give an image of any sort after fusing. I haven't bothered to try.
I wish I had fully understood or at least read correctly your .pdf file. I was all excited to try the inkjet paper in fusing. I guess I bought the wrong paper. Or have the wrong printer. Or something. Oh well. Maybe I'll try it anyway and post results if there are any results left on the glass to post about.
On the bright side, I have inkjet paper if anyone is willing to risk their laser printer. :doubt:
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Ron Coleman wrote: Not sure what would happen with color xerographic toners.

Inkjet printers use an ink made up of mostly organic dyes that will burn up during firing.

Ron
Exactly right. I tried to fuse a 4/c Lazertran decal between 2 pieces of clear Spectrum. Result: voila...clear glass. total burnout., but very clean.
BB
Barbara Bader
lauren

Post by lauren »

o i have a question too - when transferred, can you tell the different shades of black? or does it all come out the same sepia color? i'm very excited to start playing...i'm ordering the paper next week.

yay.
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

"...different shades of black.." I assume you are asking if a grayscale image can be reproduced. The general answer is "yes."

A xerox or laser printer prints a gray tone by creating a dot pattern similar to "half-tones. Old copy machines did not do this well, hence we had problems copying photos on them. On some pictures I can get acceptable grays simply be using the default settings on my LaserJet 4P. When I am concerned about getting a good grayscale on a larger image I resort to a program I have (SuperPrint) which gives me control of half-tones.
Wally Venable, Student of glass