Tauras ring saw

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vickie

Tauras ring saw

Post by Vickie »

Has anyone purchased the new Tauras 3 ring saw yet/ if so, comments please! What kinds of things are you doing with it, or any ring saw for that matter. I'm thinking of buying one, but wonder how much I will use it. Seems kind of fun!
Thanks,
Vickie
Brock

Post by Brock »

You sound like a tool junkie Vickie. It's an expensive quirk. I don't buy
a tool until I have a specific need for it, and I still have stuff that is, shall
we say, underutilized. For fusing applications, that kind of saw is going to have limited use for you. You could produce shapes unattainable by normal cutting, but that's about it. The market is already flooded with very good quality water jet cut fused bowls, plates, platters, etc. and you're not going to be able to compete with that.

Say, anyone interested in an electric pasta maker? Graham
Mira

Post by Mira »

Well, I have the new ring saw -- got it for x-mas, and it's all I wanted.

I absolutely love it. I use it to cut thick layers of glass (pattern bars). I've also been using it for some sculptural applications - expirements, so to speak. I also do stained glass panels, and since it zips through one layer of glass so fast I'm sure I'll use it for a little cheating too. With stained glass, it's helpful because you're cutting and grinding in one quick swoop. Not bad.

I don't have any other saws, and this one is pretty versatile. Hope you like it too!

Mira, your fellow tool junkie.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Hey Mira, if it's working for you, that's great. Everyone has different needs. I feel that a tile saw is more useful for fusing, for me. On the stained glass boards just mentioning ring saw will start an immediate war.
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

Some of the folks that I talk to are still recommending the Gryphon Omni. They say it's less maintenance and less expensive in the long run.
~ Joanne

"What neglected medication made you think THAT was a good idea??"
- me, to myself
Mira

Post by Mira »

Hey Brock - I definately hear what you're saying . . . many stained glass artists just go up the wall at the thought of someone using a ring saw. I don't totally understand it, though . . . I view it kind of like using a calculator - as long as I can do the math longhand, it should be allowed. I haven't cheated yet, but I rather like the idea of using a saw when a particularly expensive glass is intimidating me.

Take care,
Mira
fun5oh

Post by fun5oh »

Brock wrote:You sound like a tool junkie Vickie. It's an expensive quirk. I don't buy
a tool until I have a specific need for it, and I still have stuff that is, shall
we say, underutilized. For fusing applications, that kind of saw is going to have limited use for you. You could produce shapes unattainable by normal cutting, but that's about it. The market is already flooded with very good quality water jet cut fused bowls, plates, platters, etc. and you're not going to be able to compete with that.

Are you always negative? Can anyone just ask a simple question without being shot down by you? Just because she wants to buy a ring saw doesn't mean she can't compete with anyone....... Some things are better left unsaid.............

Robin
dee

Re: Tauras ring saw

Post by dee »

Vickie wrote:Has anyone purchased the new Tauras 3 ring saw yet/ if so, comments please! What kinds of things are you doing with it, or any ring saw for that matter. I'm thinking of buying one, but wonder how much I will use it. Seems kind of fun!
Thanks,
Vickie
hi vickie, i got one from santa, asked for it and a few blades specifically and he honored my wish, guess i was a good girl last year ;P i had specific things in mind to do with it which will eventually make it to the website - i also have a tile saw - 2 very different methods of cutting, i use the tile saw for specific things and the taurus for other things, i've experimented with it some to start to get a feel for it, played with all the accessories on it, have a friend who's big on the taurus 2 who's bought the t3, she has found only problem is since she is rather aggressive and cuts left to right she's popped the blade off a few times, otherwise i believe she likes it....

you might want to see if you can try it before buying it and see what ideas it gives you, it's not the cheapest tool out there for glass studios...

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

fun5oh wrote:
Brock wrote:You sound like a tool junkie Vickie. It's an expensive quirk. I don't buy

Are you always negative? Can anyone just ask a simple question without being shot down by you? Just because she wants to buy a ring saw doesn't mean she can't compete with anyone....... Some things are better left unsaid.............

Robin
Huh? Are you the new Board Monitor? I responded to a post with my opinion, about a tool. That's what the Board is for. Depending on the tool, my opinion could have ranged from very positive to very negative. And as you can see, other's have opinions also, and they post them so that people can pick and choose. And we all learn, at least those of us with open minds.Ya gotta lighten up. Brock
Denise M.

Post by Denise M. »

Thank you, Brock. My husband wants to buy me a new tool for my birthday and I told him I needed to do more research. I can't decide between a tile saw or a ring saw. What you said make perfect sense. I need to wait until I have a better handle on which will serve me better. Since I don't do cut outs, I'm leaning toward the tile saw. But I think I'll take a rain check on the gift.

Denise
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Vickie,

I have the Taurus II and I love it. It all depends on what kind of cutting you want to do and the cutting I do cannot be done with a regular glass cutter. I don't use it every day but when I want to make my special panels I know I have the tools to do it.

There was a discussion recently regarding the new Taurus III and some people were not too happy with it. From the discussion, the new saw is suppose to be quieter and some people thought otherwise.

There's no "yes" or "no" to your question. It depends on what you want.

Judy
fun5oh

Post by fun5oh »

HAAAAAA HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA, Is that light enough for you Brock?
Truth to the matter is, Vickie asked for some feedback, but I don't think she expected to be called a "tool junkie" when she did it, Secondly you made the comment that she could NOT compete with those who were already flooding the market with water jet cut, fused bowls, plates, platters etc.... I don't think she asked for any info on what was considered saleable, or for that matter what YOU considered competition??
And IN MY OPINION, your last degrading remark was the one left about the pasta maker. Also Brock, for future refrence, I am one of the most OPEN MINDED people you could ever know, I very much appreciate the info I have gathered here, and I also am entitled to an opinion.......

Robin
Brock

Post by Brock »

Firstly, tool junkie is not necessarily a pejorative, and it certainly wasn't meant to be in this case. It's the nature of the craft, you tend to accumulate tools, then you move on to other methods, and voila, left over tools. It's happened to all of us, and I was commiserating not criticizing.

Secondly, you're right, Vickie did not ask my opinion on what was considered saleable, or what was competition. That was free, gratis, extra, an add-on. It's almost funny, quite often I am terse, and I'm asked for clarification.

Thirdly, the remark about the pasta maker was a gest at myself. I bought a fairly expensive electric one years ago, and could never really get it to work. The dough had to be the EXACT right consistency, or the underpowered motor could not extrude it. I burned out the motor
trying to make it work.

I have about 4300 posts on Brad's board, and you could certainly find some posts devoid of good cheer and the milk of human kindness, but generally, I give good advice, along with some humor and wit.

You have posted about 30 times and you have twice exhibited this umwarranted agressive behaviour, first against an innocuous post by Dennis Brady, which no one else seemed to be offended by, and now against me, in another post that no one seems offended by.

So . . . exhibit some of this open mind, and relax. There is a time to be aggressive, but normally, people wait for a reason. I didn't give you one.

Brock
fun5oh

Post by fun5oh »

Brock wrote:
So . . . exhibit some of this open mind, and relax. There is a time to be aggressive, but normally, people wait for a reason. I didn't give you one.

Brock
This would be a time that you are asked for clarification????
Yes there were posts between Dennis Brady and I, as for if anyone else was offended, that would be for those people to speak up for themselves. I did not come here to make trouble, but I know I am not alone in my words, as the PM's that I have recieved would prove. Yes Brock, you do give very good info here, I read, and mentally note it daily, but I for one feel that some of the post you make can be one sided, your way or no way, so to say. I did not attack you or show any sort of aggressive behavior, maybe you and I are 2 people that through the post of the internet " don't know how to take each other" I do not feel it is fair for you to say I am aggressive because of the posts with you and Dennis. I wonder, did you say that to Dennis after our incident, his number of posts is probably the same, as well as his record for arguments. Maybe you should lighten up and relax yourself a little bit.

Robin
Mira

Post by Mira »

One time I made a post about maybe losing my touch in cutting some glass. Brock quickly pointed out that indeed, I had lost my touch in the instance I was referring to. I was new to the board, and at first, I didn't get it.

Number one: He was right. (Again here: "He was right.")

Number two: His humor is as dry as mine. (We're talking dry martini, tongue-in-cheek, dry).

Number three: I could not possibly afford to take all the classes it would take to gain the information that Brock (Especially Brock, but I'd also like to add when I see Bert's name I also perk up) and others post here.

Brock (nor anyone else) is under obligation to mentor us along. This is FREE information in the truest sense. Brad's book is great, there's no doubt about it. But, I can't show it a picture and ask it why, or do you like it, or did you watch the game, or don't you just love glass too?

With all the respect in the world to both of you,
Your fellow glass lover,
Tool junkie with a bread maker in the basement (actually, a sandwhich maker too),
Mira
pclark

Post by pclark »

Brock,

I personally saw nothing wrong with your response. Vicki obviously saw nothing wrong with it either or she would have said something. I appreciate all the posts and answers you give on this board. You are a wealth or knowledge and I look forward to reading your posts on a regular basis. Keep up the good and gracious work be your humor dry or wet. I will take it any way you give it.
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

I agree with Brock's sentiment about buying tools before knowing how their use will benefit you....I bought a Taurus saw a year ago and I hate it. I thought I would use it for all kinds of things, (and that I needed it because it is a cool tool and I didn't have one) It is a great saw, some people I know use theirs nearly every day- but I've used it a whopping 3 times, and lent it to a student who used it one day. Figuring the price I paid, the space it takes up sitting on my shelf, and the number of times I've used it, I made a stupid purchase. (did it with a Diamond Max grinder, too)

I have been much happier using my hand file and my mosaic nippers than I have my power tools- something about the noise and speed of the power tools really takes away from my experience of making art- I like the "ancientness" I guess. (this probably explains why I was the only person in my college sculpture class to use only hand tools after trying the air chisels- took me 6 weeks to complete my sculpture sitting on the quiet lawn under a tree- everyone else was done in a matter of days...)

BTW, I've come to determine that any opinion given on a forum board is likely to offend somebody... for one reason or another... it's part of having several billion personalities roaming the earth...
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

Denise,

I have both the Taurus II and a tile saw. If you don't do cut outs, you'll definately get more use out of a tile saw, or a table saw with a diamond blade.

Good Luck,

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
lohman

Post by lohman »

I'm interested in the "detachable" feature of the new ring saw. Seems like it can go where the Taurus II can't go like maybe an articulated edge on a large piece of glass that would otherwise be too large for the cutting surface. I read about it on the Gemini website: http://www.geminisaw.com
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

For me, I'd call my Taurus a poor mans water jet. I find it most useful for stained glass work, though am incorporting it more into kiln jobs. It is one of those tools that I did Ok without for 20 years, but find it opens up alot, both from an economic as well as design perspective. Brock, interesting to hear that some stained glass folks take offense to ring saws. I wonder if they also eschew carbide wheel cutters, but instead scratch their glass and use heat to run the scores. If a tool increases my speed and/or quality, broadens my artistic options, and does not sacrifice any design ideals or work preferences that I may hold dear, I'll use it.