dichroic glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Goldfinger

dichroic glass

Post by Goldfinger »

As a beginner, I am somewhat amazed at the different patterns being produced on dichroic glass. While I understand the basic principal of how it's done, can someone explain to me how they get the patterns on the glass with the different colors,ect?
rodney

Post by rodney »

you can do a search at http://WWW.GOOGLE.COM

dichroic glass production process

rodney
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Even better, click on CBS Dichroic at the top of this page (one of the board's sponsors) and check out the FAQ on their website. It has some good background about dichroic glass.

Artisan Dichroic (another board sponsor) also has a FAQ on dichroic that has some good information.
Paul Tarlow

Re: dichroic glass

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Steve Eshbaugh wrote:As a beginner, I am somewhat amazed at the different patterns being produced on dichroic glass. While I understand the basic principal of how it's done, can someone explain to me how they get the patterns on the glass with the different colors,ect?
Steve -- there are two ways you can get dichroic patterns.

First, you can buy it that way from manufacturers -- they all offer patterned dichro.

Second, you can modify the dichro surface yourself. There are a couple common ways to do this. The basic proces is to mask some of the dichro film and remove the dichro in the non-masked space.

For example, glass etching cream will remove dichro. You can mask with everything from tape to glue to sharpie marker. You can also sandblast the dichro off the glass. Sharpie won't work for that removal method :)

Hope this helps.
Paul
Goldfinger

dichroic glass

Post by Goldfinger »

I understand the principal of making dichroic glass in single colors.
I don't understand how they manage to get the circles, squares, hexagons,
ect. in different colors on the glass

Steve
Sara

Re: dichroic glass

Post by Sara »

Steve Eshbaugh wrote:I understand the principal of making dichroic glass in single colors.
I don't understand how they manage to get the circles, squares, hexagons,
ect. in different colors on the glass

Steve
it's done with templates. Allan Graef has the 'corner' on some designs. the thicker the template the more the halo of color and shading around the shape that is the "hole" through which the dichro is sprayed.

Sara
Goldfinger

dichroic glass

Post by Goldfinger »

Sara: Thanks for the information!

Steve
Goldfinger

dichroic glass

Post by Goldfinger »

I just found this website. This explains the making of dichroic glass in much better detail.

http://laurelyourkowski.com[url][/url] Click "About Dichroic".

Steve
kazindc

dichro

Post by kazindc »

Laurel's husband makes her dichroic.. so cool... and Laurel cuts her shapes freehand...I would sell my first born child to be able to cut glass like she does... I still drool when I see her pieces...
http://www.laurelyourkowski.com

karen teemer