Nichrome Wire Turned Black

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Melissa Terman

Nichrome Wire Turned Black

Post by Melissa Terman »

Recently, I read on the board a recommendation for nichrome wire. It's supposed to stay shiny? Mine turned black. I actually like the result, but it was not what I was planning on. If I want it shiny, what does a girl have to do?

Please, no advice that includes odd rituals, praying, incantations and/or sacrifices.

Thanks for your help.
Melissa Terman
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Darn...no advice requiring the usual offerings to the kiln gods? That's my favorite kind! LOL.

Okay, well, here's the scoop without a ritual. I'd guess that your nichrome wire had some kind of contamination on it which burned to create a black finish.

If you want to get it off, you can clean it in an ultrasonic cleaner, perhaps, or buff it off.

Geri
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

u gotta buff it.
mine doesnt turn black, but it comes out dull gunmetal gray.
i buff it with felt buff on a Foredom flexishaft, with some Diamond Brite buffing compound from Rio Grande. the Diamond Brite leaves some gunk residue, just a very small amount, which can be cleaned off with a little soap and water and toothbrush, or drop in a tumble vibe. i use a tumble vibe ... one less thing for me to do.
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

No matter how weird it gets, it never gets weird enough for me...

Please, no advice that includes odd rituals, praying, incantations and/or sacrifices.

Sheesh, make up your mind, lady!
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
rodney

Post by rodney »

can you tell me what you are using the wire for
thanks
rodney
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

eh! Rodney ,,,,,,,,, you talkin' ta me?

nichrome wire can be fused into earrings, formed into tiny loop, with excess clipped off.
rodney

Post by rodney »

hey there,,,,,,i use for this purpose FINE SILVER WIRE,,,*NOT STERLING*, its very cheap in the size that is needed, and its a precious metal,,,,,maybe this will solve the problem of wire prep,,,rodney
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i'll have to see how the pricing is on a big spool of 22 gauge fine silver wire. i'm aware that it supposedly comes out of the kiln looking good ... i have never fired any to do a test. one thing that has kept me from doing this is the amount of wire that i snip off ... it seems wasteful, unless i were to do some silver castings, which isnt in my Top 10 at the moment. but thanks for your input Rodney ,,,, i appreciate it.
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

No matter how weird it gets, it never gets weird enough for me...

Sheesh, make up your mind, lady!
Jerry, I thought I did make up my mind. I don't like appeasing unknown forces, but I do enjoy the bizarre. Merely voyeuristic though.

Rodney, I do work with fine silver...alot...but the silver reacts to some colors (i don't always want to cap in clear) and I thought nichrome could be the answer. And, of course it's stronger than fine silver if you're extending out of the glass like for a jewelry connection.

Thanks everyone for your input. Most appreciated.
Melissa Terman