Felisatti Experience

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Amy Schleif-Mohr

Felisatti Experience

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Hi Everyone,

I had an experience yesterday that I thought I would share because there are several other owner of the Felisatti Angle grinder that visit the board.

I was working on a large piece (46"long) and of course was apporaching a deadline. It died on me. I bought mine last Feb. and didn't start using it until March. Every piece I make I use this piece of equipment on, so you can imagine my frustration. I called Granite City Tool, where I bought it, and they told me that the warrenty is only for 90 days and that what broke was probably the brushes. Inside somewhere there are brushes in this thing and they break and you have to replace them. So, not having time to figure this out, I went to Mid West Trade Tool. They have helped me out before so I gave them a call to see if they had anything in stock that would work. They had an Alpha angle grinder in stock, unfortunately it is not variable speed. It's lighter, which means I can hold it with one hand, and the switch has this feature that allows it to stay on. It came with extra brushes. So I got home and finished up my cold working on this piece and was able to make my deadline only an hour late.

My point in sharing all this is that be aware that there are wearable parts on these things. Let me tell you I was more than a little miffed when it didn't even last a year. I am going to take it apart and see what broke. I don't think it was the brushes because the whole thing seized up.

I will let you all know what I find.

Amy
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

The brushes are graphite pieces. If one breaks and gets jammed inside the motor, it could sieze up.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Amy Schleif-Mohr

That's what I was thinking, but won't know until I open it up and take a look. If it can be fixed, then I'll have two.

Amy
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Amy,

Take a look at the brushes before you take the angle drive apart. If they had worn down completely, it's possible that they jammed the shaft. In many cases, they are easy to remove. There's one coming in from each side of the motor, and there is usually a plastic screw through the case to get at them. Looking at the picture on the Granite-city website, I can't see the brush access screws, but that doesn't mean they're not there. You might need to take the case off to get at them though.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Yes Tony, I know that. I do need to take the case off to see the brushes. That's not my problem. My problem was that Granite City did not tell me in the first place that there were wear parts or else I would have checked them on a regular bases and maybe avoided all of this. I am just very frustrated and cranky.

Amy
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:Yes Tony, I know that. I do need to take the case off to see the brushes. That's not my problem. My problem was that Granite City did not tell me in the first place that there were wear parts or else I would have checked them on a regular bases and maybe avoided all of this. I am just very frustrated and cranky.

Amy
Does Granite City stock the replacement brushes? I'm glad your new Alpha came with spares... at least it lets the buyer know that they wear out.

Good luck. I hope your day gets better.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Yeah they do stock replacements. But I think from now on I am going to deal with Mid West Trade tool. I can just go in there and talk to them. And the bonus is that I won't have to pay for shipping. They are the same kind of company at Granite City Tool so it's all good.

My day is going better, thanks.

Amy
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

And Amy, if you find that two angle grinders is too many, I will gladly accept a donation. Would even pay shipping and handling! :roll:

I hate it when things go wrong, always when there is a deadline to meet!

But deadlines to meet mean good things....
Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Ha yeah, I'm just not sure the additional stress this one caused is worth it. I suppose time will tell...

I'm thinking that if I can fix this one I'm going to keep it around as a back up. An expensive back up, but a back up.

Amy
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

all kidding aside, Amy, do you find that you need the variable speed? Thanks,
Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Not really. The Alpha rotates at 2500 RPM and that's polishing speed. For what I'm doing with it, it doesn't make a difference.

Amy
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

I have the Felisatti also. Thanks for the info. I'll give Granite City a call tomorrow to order brushes (whatever they are).

You mentioned that the Alpha has a button that allows it to stay on continually. The Felisatti will do the same thing. I had trouble understanding how it worked at first, but if it's the WG20, you hold the button down, then kinda slide you're finger back and waalaa, the thing stays on. Someone on the board told me this would work, but my husband had to show me cause it is pretty tricky.

...Kelly
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Ohhh, that's good to know. Occasionally mine would stay on but I just thought it was getting stuck. Thanks

Amy
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Amy,

All machinery wears out. It's just a matter of time but I think the Fellisati wears out too soon.

I also bought one last March and probably used it for 10 hours. I noticed grease oozing into the motor area from the gear head. I took the gear head apart and found it full of water. A bad seal in the gear head.

I've been repairing machinery all my life and even ran a major tool room for 5 years. But, I can't seem to get at the seal in the gear head. There are 2 screws under the ring gear, but not sure how the ring gear is held on. I had them send me a parts list but it's not very helpful.

Oh, well. I think I'll change brands.

Jack
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Jack,

I hear that Alpha is like the best brand. We'll see. What I'm concerned about is that I'm going to be buying a $300 piece of equipment every year. I just expected more. Eventually I may switch to pneumatic, once I replace my compressor.

Amy
Cheryl

Oh, Jack!

Post by Cheryl »

What's your direct shipping address? I'd gladly send you my backlog of neglected tools...they don't eat much and they're very grateful to the hand that fixes them...and I won't even ask for a backpack full of $$ in return... :P