Slumping a cone

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mike Byers

Slumping a cone

Post by Mike Byers »

A broad cone shape (the shape of a martini glass) is one of the most difficult shapes to make using a torch. Has anyone had experience with making this shape by slumping the glass into a mold?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

Very nice work indeed, Marty! Since I'm looking for steeper sides than your bowls, and a flat place about 3/4" in diameter on the bottom, I was thinking that two graduated molds might be the solution. Does this sound reasonable? I'll be using borosilicate glass for this project.
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Mike,

I don't have pictures of the cone shaped light fixtures I made years ago but the way I was able to get it shaped was a custom spun SS molds. These were fairly large fixtures and deep. I did slump the pieces into a larger mold first just to get the glass to start forming into a bowl type shape, I didn't want the glass to ruffle or wrinkle. How big is this going to be? You can get a circle cut from SS to put into the bottom of the cone shaped mold too where you want the base to be. Another way would be to do a drop mold and have the cone shape for the piece to slump into.

Good luck.

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

http://www.schlanserdesign.com/frmset.htm

As I understand it, a lot of Schlanser's work is dropouts with the rims removed.

Ron
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

These are going to be fairly small, about four inches in diameter. I figure to roll the stainless into a cone, weld the joint and grind it smooth. Then I'll tack a small circle of stainless on for the bottom. I want an angle of around 45 degrees for the finished piece, so I'm hoping two molds (30 and 45 degrees) will do the job.
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Mike, if you need these made out of boro you might want to check on a lampworker board for a supplier. A lot of goblet parts are pre fabbed and easily available, as I understand it.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.