PLEASE HELP! Just fired up kiL 1st time! Jen Ken GS11-e

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

reneewri

PLEASE HELP! Just fired up kiL 1st time! Jen Ken GS11-e

Post by reneewri »

Hi! I have finally fired up my new Jen Ken GS-11E kiln for the first time, but it seems to be taking a really LONG time to reach 1500. I am doing the kiln temp and timing (Nothing in kiln except shelf). It seemed to go along pretty well up to the time I reached the HI switch. From 0 to 600 it took a total of approx 60 minutes.
from 600 to 800 it took 18 min
from 800 to 900 - 35 min.
from 900 to 1000 - 1 hr and 5
from 1000 to 1100 - seems to be holding here for the last hour.

Is this normal??? How long should it take to reach the 1500?

The only thing that I have noticed is that around the peep hole, the heat seems to be really intense. I can hold my hand about 6" away for 15-20 seconds before I have to move it. All the other sides are slightly warm a short distance away.

I have the kiln on a dedicated 20 amp circut- wired with 14g w ground.

I have the meter that plugs into back of kiln.

PLEASE! If anyone can help, I would appreciate it!! Renee :?: :?:
Glass Rainbows, Carrollton, GA
jim simmons

Re: PLEASE HELP! Just fired up kiL 1st time! Jen Ken GS11-e

Post by jim simmons »

GlassRainbows wrote:
The only thing that I have noticed is that around the peep hole, the heat seems to be really intense. I can hold my hand about 6" away for 15-20 seconds before I have to move it. All the other sides are slightly warm a short distance away.

:?: :?:
Do you have the peep hole plugged?
JIM
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

14 guage wire is rated for 15 amps maximum. It will probably carry 20 and get warm. You really should have used 12 guage minimum. See if the cable is warm to the touch( and I mean WARM! ). That would be a good indicator that you need a larger wire.
reneewri

Post by reneewri »

:oops: That was my mistake- It was 12 guage wire. I had everything backwards- it's not a peep hole, but a window! Thanks for your patience! Renee
reneewri

Found out problem- not kiln- ME!

Post by reneewri »

I finally found out what my problem was! I had the meter in the back of the kiln pushed in too far- therefore metal was touching metal and throwing the whole thing off!! I called MIke at Jen- Ken and he figured it out right away, plus gave me bunches of good tips! AAAA++++ customer service for anyone looking to buy a kiln....
Renee