Turtle wax

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mira

Turtle wax

Post by Mira »

This may apply more to stained glass, but applies to warm glass too . . .

Does anyone ever wax their pieces? I won a bucket of car-care items at a crab feed, which included turtle wax, which got me thinking about what affect it might have in polishing up finished pieces.

Do you think waxing can help protect the glass against scratches - or help keep it fingerprint-free? If so, can I use Turtlewax?

Thanks!
Mira
peter cummings

turtle wax

Post by peter cummings »

mira. a lot of people out here use armourall (not sure of spelling) a type of wax meant for car upholstery, as an after sandblast treatment. it softens, or semipolishes and stops the marks from every slight finger touch.takes years to absorb dirt but can feel greasy in hot weather.antique dealers often use a mild wax cleaner to hide minor scratches or devit on old glass, so you're sure to find a use for it.
peter cummings.
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

I find carnauba car wax helps prevent fingerprints from pieces that get handled a lot at shows, so I don't have to polish them so often. This is on polished glass, not sandblasted surfaces.
Find peace in your heart.

www.azurefire.etsy.com
Lynn g

turtle wax

Post by Lynn g »

Mira, I have used Turtle wax on copper-foiled projects with success, especially those with black patina (which is removed by simichrome, my favorite polish, no matter how sparingly it is applied). Use just a little wax to avoid that "ugly waxy build-up"; I rub it into my applicatior cloth, wipe over the project lightly, let dry, and buff with a clean cloth. Haven't tried waxing any fused projects (I'm still pretty much of a novice) but will try the armor-all trick on my maglesses's sandblasted areas!

Lynn g
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Stained Glass Finishing Wax is mostly carnauba. It buffs glass and metal very nicely. Not for blasted finishes, though. Probably any car wax should work as a protective coating. Good luck 8)
Marty

Post by Marty »

Armorall is a silicone-based product and it fills the pits left by sandblasting, leaving less room for fingerprint oil in those pits.

(I've learned that if one says something forcefully enough, it might even be true.)

Isn't turtle wax gotten from turtles? Sort of like milking cows? Or was it originally used on turtles, before cars needed it?

And, Brock, I forgot about freezing the glass. I think, subconciously, that I prefer myth to fact.

Marty
Brock

Post by Brock »

. . . And, Brock, I forgot about freezing the glass. I think, subconciously, that I prefer myth to fact. Marty

I think a lot of this information is hit or myth. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

In the old days Coyote would sneak up on the turtles and milk them when no one was looking. Now it's all done in Malaysia.

www.azurefire.etsy.com
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

[quote="mark kemp"]In the old days Coyote would sneak up on the turtles and milk them when no one was looking. Now it's all done in Malaysia.[/quote]

Is that because he couldn't catch Road Runner?
~ Joanne

"What neglected medication made you think THAT was a good idea??"
- me, to myself
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

Yeah, displacement. :)

Of course, now he's got Taco Bell.

www.azurefire.etsy.com
pam l

Milking Turtles

Post by pam l »

Isn't turtle wax gotten from turtles? Sort of like milking cows? Or was it originally used on turtles, before cars needed it?
:lol:

Way back, the Turtle Wax advertising promised Turtle Wax would protect your car with a shell-hard shine...or something like that.

pam l.