Slump wrinkles AGIAN...I'm gonna lose it

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lissa

Slump wrinkles AGIAN...I'm gonna lose it

Post by lissa »

A couple of weeks back I posted that I was getting stretch marks in my slump cycle regardless of schedule. It was deduced that the sharp edges I had created on the lap wheel prior to the slump were sticking to the mold and causing the marks. This morning I took a piece out of the kiln that had nicely rounded edges when it went in last night, no catching. BAD stretch marks. As I posted before I have been slumping in this mold and kiln for a year now with no problems. It is BE glass, trans. and opaque, ceramic BE mold kilnwashed. I don't know what to do.

lissa.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

is there any difference in the base glass, matrix it was fired upon, the size of the pieces...since you began getting strech marks?

Is anything different? Any little thing? Initial firing schedule, base glass, shelf or paper or the prep of either? Are you cleaning your glass differently, using new paper towels or cloths? :-k

Slowing down from 1000 to full bend didn't help, eh?

Something must be different between then and now...or else you have a kiln troll. If you need instructions on Troll removal... [-o<
lissa

Post by lissa »

I agree, there MUST be a change somewhere, but I can't find it. All the variables you mentioned have been consistent. The only thing I have done differently is play with any and all firing schedules to try and solve this. My tried and true just failed one day and since then I have been open to any suggested or conceived schedule...no luck. It's something else...but WHAT???

lissa.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Hmmm . . . I guess there are only 3 things to be concerned about.

Glass

Mold/wash

Firing schedule

So . . have you sanded your mold?
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
lissa

Post by lissa »

I did sand it down, but maybe I should really go at it this time. This mold went to an unknown, but very high temp at one point, but I don't see how that would be causing the wrinkling. I'll see what another, deeper sanding does.

Thanks.

lissa.