Fire retardant for combing jacket

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Travar

Fire retardant for combing jacket

Post by Travar »

Patty Gray mentions in her website demo of combing glass (thanks, Patty) the cotton jacket she wears while combing in front of a hot kiln. She states that the cloth is treated with Proban FR-7A. Does anyone know where to get the jackets that are already treated or where to get the fire retardant product?

Thanks for all your good help and inspiration on this bulletin board. I read it almost every day and learn something new.
What isn't tried won't work. --Claude McDonald
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I just wear cotton, and even 18" from the 1675 glow I'm ok. I wear elbow length kevlar gloves and have no discomfort at all.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Tony Serviente wrote:I just wear cotton, and even 18" from the 1675 glow I'm ok. I wear elbow length kevlar gloves and have no discomfort at all.
Yup, in and out, quick as a bunny. No dilly-dallying. I wear shorts and a t-shirt, and move very quickly. We had a student set her hair on fire.

Don't get mesmerized, it'll hurt. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Travar,

I purchased my lovely green jackets from Grainger Industrial Supply http://www.grainger.com and they run around $19. I like the fact they are cotton because they do keep you cooler and it breathes. To add more comfort in front of kilns I also wear a face shield. It is amazing how much heat they can take - I always look at the warped surface and think that would be happening to my face.

I think you can go to most welding stores and get a similar jacket in your area.

good luck and have fun (safe)

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com
Travar

Post by Travar »

Thanks again, Patty. You are gracious and oh so stylish. Thanks, too, for a great website.
What isn't tried won't work. --Claude McDonald
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

What we have our smelter folks wear when working around molten aluminum is pure wool - at least 16 ounce. It is inheriently flame retardant and works well. So dig out that old wool sweater.

Some of the previously mentioned fabrics (Proban, Indura, etc.) are cotton coated with a flame resistant coating that in our tests, washes out. Now, if you buy Proban and never wash it, no problem! I personally use an apron made of aluminized Kevlar so I get the reflective protection. Couple of other thoughts - NEVER wear synthetics (especially Polar Fleece) and remember that these garments are designed not to prevent burns but to prevent clothing fires!
Greg
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hey--
speaking of kevlar gloves...
has anybody found ones that make you look like the incredible hulk? Mine are so bulky I'm always worried that I'll drop my combing tool...
Cindy
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

For open kiln work

I have thought an apron of the aluminiumfabric
used over ironing boards, backed yp with woolen lining.

Does anyone know how much heat that aluminium
fabric can take?

-lauri
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

I don't know about the fabric, but the melting point of aluminum is 660.25°C 1220.45°F .
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.