Pendent help please?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

reneewri

Pendent help please?

Post by reneewri »

Hi- I have been firing small pendents using 2 layers + my decorative layer on top. I heat the kiln to 600 and then take it up to 1500. I let it set there for 5 minutes and then turn the kiln off and let the kiln cool to room temp. I have been using the fiber paper for the holes. My problem is the top layer of glass kinds of draws up, so I end up with a "narrower" top layer of the hole than the bottom. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Too long at the high temp? I noticed tonight that it seems to be doing it at the 1500 degree.
My other question is- Am I safe to bring the kiln from 0 to 1500 quickly, or will the load cool down too quickly? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Renee
Glass Rainbows, Carrollton, GA
mpg

Post by mpg »

Hi Rene,

I've found that soaking for a longer time at a lower temp helps some with the puckering problem. Your kiln temps are probably different, but 20 minutes at 1450 gave me better looking pendant holes than the 10 minutes at 1500 I had been doing.

Good luck!
Michelle
reneewri

Post by reneewri »

Thanks for your reply! I will try that! I am new to this, so your suggestion was very helpful. I am glad that someone knew what I was trying to explain. :D Renee
Glass Rainbows, Carrollton, GA
jim simmons

Re: Pendent help please?

Post by jim simmons »

GlassRainbows wrote:. My problem is the top layer of glass kinds of draws up, so I end up with a "narrower" top layer of the hole than the bottom. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Too long at the high temp? I noticed tonight that it seems to be doing it at the 1500 degree.
What is the thickness of the glass over the fiber paper that you are using for the holes?
If it is only one layer, then I think that that may be part of the problem.
Try using 2 layers over the paper and see what happens.
It may be ,(I havent tried this) that then the "puckering" will shift to the bottom.
Jim
charlie

Re: Pendent help please?

Post by charlie »

GlassRainbows wrote:My other question is- Am I safe to bring the kiln from 0 to 1500 quickly, or will the load cool down too quickly? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Renee
no, the smaller the glass object the faster you can go. i do maglesses at 1500/hr, and frit wafers at afap, which in my kiln is just under 3000/hr.

it works the same way for cooling too. the smaller the faster you can cool it.