workshop ideas

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

bskirwin

workshop ideas

Post by bskirwin »

I have been asked to conduct a weekend workshop ( two days, 10:00-4:00pm) on glass fusion. I only have two little kilns and 12 people are taking the workshop. I have never taught a glass fusion class before and would like as much advice as possible. I know this is a big topic, so I appreciate any advice. Any ideas for small projects other than little fused bowls....? I would love some novel ideas. Thanks. Barbara
Brock

Re: workshop ideas

Post by Brock »

Hey Barbara, that's a toughie.
No other equipment? Saw? Sandblaster? Wet Belt Sander?
Divide your kiln shelf space into 12, allowing space for a little flow, and that is each students available space. Do something with fibre paper and float or transparent glass, Paradise paint, small tiles to illustrate design, or technical, or process events. Good luck Brock
bskirwin wrote:I have been asked to conduct a weekend workshop ( two days, 10:00-4:00pm) on glass fusion. I only have two little kilns and 12 people are taking the workshop. I have never taught a glass fusion class before and would like as much advice as possible. I know this is a big topic, so I appreciate any advice. Any ideas for small projects other than little fused bowls....? I would love some novel ideas. Thanks. Barbara
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

Barbara,

Jewelry is always a good idea. Perhaps a cabochon and earrings. If you'll have men in your class, cufflinks and a bolo?

I would worry about having sufficient time for slumping with twelve small bowls.

Coasters.

Good Luck and Have Fun,
Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
vblue

Post by vblue »

How small are your kilns? How has the class be advertized.....just "glass fusion"? If your kilns are like the Hot Box or QuikFire, they could only do a 3/4" project.

If you want them to do a little larger piece, you may have state up front that they will have to pick up their projects later, with you firing them after class. If you tell them that up front, then you could use your kilns to do demos with slumping on little bowls or the little st. steel cups from Target to show draping, etc.

That's basically what I'm doing at a private school in March. They will be doing coasters but their teacher will fire them in her large kiln after class. She only has 2 small kilns and a large kiln. I'll have 10 students. I'm going to demo. some things using her Hot Box. I only have 4 hours and these are high school kids, so there is a difference in time.
I also plan to bring a variety of examples of various types of kiln work and discuss the process.

Good Luck!
Vernelle
Tony Smith

Re: workshop ideas

Post by Tony Smith »

bskirwin wrote:I have been asked to conduct a weekend workshop ( two days, 10:00-4:00pm) on glass fusion. I only have two little kilns and 12 people are taking the workshop. I have never taught a glass fusion class before and would like as much advice as possible. I know this is a big topic, so I appreciate any advice. Any ideas for small projects other than little fused bowls....? I would love some novel ideas. Thanks. Barbara
I know this may be a silly, yet obvious question, but why would you agree to teach a fusing class that you've never taught before with equipment that isn't adequate for the number of students?

Just curious.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Barbara,

That is a big class for your first class. Can you divide the class into two classes so you can get a feel for teaching? If not I would advise having at least one or two TA's to help you. Have a good outline of what you plan on doing (outline/class syllabus) and be realistic on what you can complete in the class. Is this going to be a one day class or weekend? or? Will your students already know basic fusing information? Can you provide information on your processes you want to teach? There is a lot to teaching and the better you are prepared everyone enjoys it more (including you).

Good luck,

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

Magless, of course!
bskirwin

Post by bskirwin »

Thanks for the suggestions..... and yes, what was I thinking teaching a class for the first time with little to no equipment. I do have 2 small kilns and we will just have to divide up the space evenly. I think magnets and coasters are a great idea, and a few pieces of jewelry. Thanks for all the ideas. Barbara