tile saw again

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Luiza

tile saw again

Post by Luiza »

:?: I found a tile saw here, and it seems very similar to the ones I saw in the
sites you send to me. My only doubt is about the rotations - it´s 13.000rpm.
Do you think it´s too fast? It´s Makita, a very reasonable price, and I can
have it by friday if you all think it´s ok! Please, be so kind to tell me if I
can buy it. Luiza
Last edited by Luiza on Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

That sounds very fast Luiza. Can you give the website where you found it? From the speed alone, it sounds like it may not be what you are looking for. The picture below is a typical tile saw made by MK Diamond Tools in the US. http://www.mkdiamond.com. It has a shallow tub that holds water and a pump that sprays the water on the blade. This model has a sliding table where you place your tile (or glass) and push it back through the blade.

Tony

The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Hi Tony
The site I could find that shows a similar one is
http://www.dewalt.com.br/products/Cata/ ... dID=DW861B
The saws I found here are for granite and other stones cut. It´s not ok?
Thanks a lot for your patience.
Luiza
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The saw that you gave the link to would work, but you would have a difficult time cutting thin strips with it because it is used very much like a circular saw for wood. The weight of that saw is supported by the material that you are cutting, so as the piece gets smaller and smaller, the saw becomes less stable. This is why the larger version that has a table is preferred.

The saws that cut marble and granite are what you want... but probably not the hand-held version of those saws.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Luiza

tile saw help / Tony

Post by Luiza »

Hi Tony
I searched a lot, but I could only find the hand-held type. Maybe it´s possible adapt a kind of suport. What do you think? Please, be patience, I´m very ansious about this :oops:
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Luiza,

I'm sure that in Brazil there are many tile shoppes and tile installers. Go visit one of them and ask about their saws. I'm sure you will find that they have a saw similar to what I posted earlier.

Take a look at http://www.felkersaws.com/new_TM75.shtml Felker is a manufacturer of tile saws like I described, and they have an office in São Paulo. They may be able to help you.

Tony

Felker Brazil
Pix Do Brasil
Rua José de Oliveira Coutinho
São Paulo, Brazil CEP 01144-020

Phone: 55 11 3611-8383
Fax: 55 11 3619-3022
Email: target@pixdobrasil.com.br
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Hi Tony
I can´t believe you found this!!!
I will call them tomorrow and see if they have it here. Sometimes, even though there is a local vendor, the machines are quite diferent. I talked to some persons that use tile saws, but all use the hand held type.
Thanks vert, very much for your time and patience.
Luiza
Pam Hrycyk

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

Luiza - We are all amazed at the things Tony can find on the web. He is truly a web investigator and he's surprised many of us at one time or another.

Now Tony, can you locate Mr. Bee the maker of the fabulous wet-belt sander made in Ontario for me?

Pam
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Thanks Pam, I was feelig myself a complete incompetent fool :oops:
Now I fell a little better :D
Luiza
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Don't feel that way Luiza.

Research is a way of life and a state of mind. It's all I've ever known. It's a challenge to look for things that other people can't find and it's a lot of fun when you're successful.

Please let us know what you find.

Tony :lol:
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Pam Hrycyk wrote:Luiza - We are all amazed at the things Tony can find on the web. He is truly a web investigator and he's surprised many of us at one time or another.

Now Tony, can you locate Mr. Bee the maker of the fabulous wet-belt sander made in Ontario for me?

Pam
Try this link Pam

http://www.esourcecanada.com/profile.as ... d=19533406

Ron :wink:
Pam Hrycyk

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

Thanks Ron - You are definitely our other web explorer expert. I've sent them an email and will look for their reply.

Pam
Pam Hrycyk

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

Ron Coleman wrote:Try this link Pam

http://www.esourcecanada.com/profile.as ... d=19533406

Ron :wink:
Ron - That was them. Don from Bee Metal called me this morning and information on their wet belt sander should be in the mail today.

Thanks for your help
Pam
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Pam,

Will you post what you find out? I'm curious how the price direct from Bee compares to the US price from CRLaurence.

Tony
Pam Hrycyk

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

Tony Smith wrote:Pam,

Will you post what you find out? I'm curious how the price direct from Bee compares to the US price from CRLaurence.

Tony
Sure, I'll let you know what I find out.

Pam
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Tony Smith wrote:Luiza,

I'm sure that in Brazil there are many tile shoppes and tile installers. Go visit one of them and ask about their saws. I'm sure you will find that they have a saw similar to what I posted earlier.

Take a look at http://www.felkersaws.com/new_TM75.shtml Felker is a manufacturer of tile saws like I described, and they have an office in São Paulo. They may be able to help you.

Tony

Felker Brazil
Pix Do Brasil
Rua José de Oliveira Coutinho
São Paulo, Brazil CEP 01144-020

Phone: 55 11 3611-8383
Fax: 55 11 3619-3022
Email: target@pixdobrasil.com.br
Sorry to say that, but the place does not exist anymore...
My search will continue.
Luiza
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Be sure to check out my suggestions regarding maintenance on a Bee Metal sander in previous posts on the old board. The same will apply to a tile saw. Kevin