Dirty glass from Murano - anyone know what it is called?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

dawirch

Dirty glass from Murano - anyone know what it is called?

Post by dawirch »

I just got a free box of broken glass from a company that imports blown, colored lamp globes from Italy. All of it has dirt in the glass as if it had been thrown in the batch before it was blown. I was told that this was intentional technique and actually popular among lighting customers. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows what this glass/technique is called, and if anyone has any predictions about what the little dirt specks will do in a slump or fuse.
Peg

Re: Dirty glass from Murano - anyone know what it is called?

Post by Peg »

dawirch wrote:I just got a free box of broken glass from a company that imports blown, colored lamp globes from Italy. All of it has dirt in the glass as if it had been thrown in the batch before it was blown. I was told that this was intentional technique and actually popular among lighting customers. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows what this glass/technique is called, and if anyone has any predictions about what the little dirt specks will do in a slump or fuse.
I don't know - but I was in Venice and Murano at the weekend and saw no glass as you describe. (Just wanted to say that out loud: 'I was in Murano at the weekend' !) (I can fly there from my home town for about $50 return)
Never seen so much hideous glass!

Peg
BobB

Post by BobB »

It sounds like they were batching (making) their own glass to blow. Glass is mostly sand . They problably started blowing before the batch completely melted or thrown it in after. Someone thought it would be a "selling" feature.

As far as slump fuse you shouldn't see any changes in the sand. If you take it up to 2000 degrees it might all melt into clear glass of course it would have to have the other materials needed to make glass such as potash,soda ash,lime,etc etc.

BobB
Charles Friedman

Post by Charles Friedman »

I think what you are seeing is called "Scavo" Potassium Nitrate, Calcium Carb. and wood ash. There are other chemicals added for color. CharlesF
lissa

Post by lissa »

When I was a kid my grandparents took a trip to Italy and brought back a whole set of glasses with that sand in it, they loved them. I remember thinking it was strange and not wanting to drink from the dirty glasses. I needn't have worried though as they were off limits for the kids anyhow.

lissa.