Cold Cuts

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Serviente

Cold Cuts

Post by Tony Serviente »

Unless it hits minus twenty this winter I am done with my outdoor cutting trials. Results of my latest effort were done at five below, and still no discernible difference. Despite my bulky gloves and heavy coat I was still able to run the scores with no trouble. I even threw in some Bullseye 3445, one of the more stubborn glasses in my palette, and it was on it's best behavior. Brrr....
Dani

Post by Dani »

The King of Cold Cuts! Are you sure this isn't just a lot of baloney??Harrrrr! :wink:
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Ha Ha Dani--- When I saw the header - I immediately wanted a ham sandwich!

Thanks Tony, for running the test - now, go warm up!!
Kim
Brock

Re: Cold Cuts

Post by Brock »

Tony Serviente wrote:Unless it hits minus twenty this winter I am done with my outdoor cutting trials. Results of my latest effort were done at five below, and still no discernible difference. Despite my bulky gloves and heavy coat I was still able to run the scores with no trouble. I even threw in some Bullseye 3445, one of the more stubborn glasses in my palette, and it was on it's best behavior. Brrr....
Well, this is amazing! No one who tried this had any problems, right?

All I can say is I have noticed this phenomena several times during workshops in cold climates, and all the other parameters were the same, even to the tools used.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Brock,

I don't know about BE or spectrum but the guys from my supplier of float won't cut 19mm 3/4" float when it is fresh off the truck and very cold out. Now the questions becomes whats "COLD OUT" well here in Calgary today it's about -30 degrees celsius which works out to about -21 F I believe. That's COLD to me. Some people refer to glass as a super cooled liquid is thats what it is at 70 degrees F that it is a Super Duper Cooled liquid at -21 F.
Rick Wilton
Brock

Post by Brock »

Rick Wilton wrote:Brock,

I don't know about BE or spectrum but the guys from my supplier of float won't cut 19mm 3/4" float when it is fresh off the truck and very cold out. Now the questions becomes whats "COLD OUT" well here in Calgary today it's about -30 degrees celsius which works out to about -21 F I believe. That's COLD to me. Some people refer to glass as a super cooled liquid is thats what it is at 70 degrees F that it is a Super Duper Cooled liquid at -21 F.
Yeah, but Bert's cutting float in Maine winters. I don't get it. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Dani

Post by Dani »

glassaddict wrote:Ha Ha Dani--- When I saw the header - I immediately wanted a ham sandwich!

Kim
Ham, heeheee, no hams on this board! Okay, now we better go back to our corners! :twisted:
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

Maybe those that have trouble cutting cold glass are just shivering too much to get a good score. :lol:
Mark Hughes
Allan Gott

Post by Allan Gott »

Part of not wanting to cut thick sheet when it's "fresh off the truck and very cold out" is a handling concern Rick. Any condensation plus the use of suction cups AND large, heavy sheets of thick float has the potential of making a huge and dangerous mess.

If you can get it to the cutting table though, temperature was never a concern at any of the glaziers I worked for in the 1980's.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

It never occured to me that condensation may be the problem, That may be what they were refering to but I'm sure I've heard it more than once that cutting cold glass was temperamental, especially 12-19 mil. Maybe I misunderstood or maybe the guys were full of BS. Those who can't cut 19 mil well are always looking for an excuse. That's why there is only a few shops that will cut it. My new shop is only two blocks from the PPG warehouse and they won't touch the stuff locally. (Two bays down from Fairbairn and Norton's you know them) If you want it you'll take a full sheet or nothing. It took me a while to figure out the art of cutting it well, I spent alot of time at a couple of local shops having them show me how they do it. Where did you work in the 80's ?

http://www.wiltonstudios.com
Rick Wilton
Allan Gott

Post by Allan Gott »

Late 70's/early 80's Rick at Western Aluminum and Commercial Aluminim. Didn't do a huge amount of thick cutting. Enough to say I can do it, but we were hackers. We had to "trim" a dozen 1" entry doors one time - no pressure there.
There used to be a distributor/supplier on the corner of Barlow and 70th(?). One day I was there picking up sealed units, a whole lowrider trailer loaded with thick float "exploded" in the indoor loading bay. Luckily it was still tarped but it took them a week to clean it up.

Yeah I know the Double Struggle boys. Good guys.