A new computer virus out there

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

yesterday, I got virus laden emails from Chip, Jackie Beckman CRLoo and Northwest Art Glass... it's clear that someone in our community got nailed by this nasty virus.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I've been getting between 8 and 10 a day since Tuesday. Mostly from CRL, Northwest Artglass, other glass related businesses, and people from the board. There have been lots with names I don't recognize too. Thankfully Norton has caught them all, but just to be safe I'm not opening any attachments from anyone that I'm not expecting.

Jackie
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

I just recieved the virus from warmglass.com. There was an attachment saying (message.zip). I deleted it immediatly! Be Careful! The virus is among us! :evil:
Mark Hughes
artisand

Post by artisand »

Help!

I am a total computer ignoramus. I posted on this board for the first time in a while yesterday and last night received an e-mail saying I have a private e-mail. I'm afraid to open it. Should I be? Is there some way to check to see if it is for real? thanks.

Sharon
charlie

Post by charlie »

use the Private Messages button on the top of the msgs to get to this area of the board. no, that is not a virus message.
artisand

Post by artisand »

Thanks for the help, Charlie!

Sharon
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Thank sooooooooooo much folks.
That link to the geek board had just the right trick. It worked like a charm. Such a relief. I've booted up twice just to be sure and it's a-ok.
I knew it was that dang winlogon file!
\:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D>
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I just heard on the radio that there's a new virus out there called "Net Sky" that looks for systems already infected with the last virus (My Doom) that I posted about. It will cause even more havoc on a system than My Doom did. If you haven't already checked your PC for My Doom, now would be a good time.

Geri