Small Evenheat/temp for texture

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Glenda Kronke

Small Evenheat/temp for texture

Post by Glenda Kronke »

I need answer fairly quickly....I have no experience in using such a small thing. (my ovens are 5' x 10') All I am trying to do is pick up a slight texture on a 4"x4" x 1/8" tile without disturbing the surface decoration (pearlx design, I think). I have it sitting on the rough side of fiberpaper. Last nite I took it up to 1250-1300 deg. and held for 15 min. and did NOT get any texture. Should I go higher? or hold longer at this same temp? Customer needs this sample today.
Thanks for your quick response.
glenda
Brock

Re: Small Evenheat/temp for texture

Post by Brock »

Your pyrometer must be inaccurate, you should definitely have picked up texture at that temp. I'd try a little hotter, maybe 1400 for 10 minutes. Those small kilns are an entirely different learning curve. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Glenda Kronke

Post by Glenda Kronke »

I thought that might be the problem. I can't believe I didn't get any texture either. In my big boys, I can do it at such lower temps. Also, can't I just turn it on 'high' to do this or do I need to worry about thermal shock on something this thin? I don't like having to baby sit it. It is SO different from the big boys!

Thanks
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey Glenda: Hope your nice and warm (it's FREEZING here - minus 30 degrees - yikes!!! and you thought it was cold when you were here last year...)
Brock: I just bought a small Paragon kiln (Caldera). Haven't used it yet - do you think I need to up my temps by around 100 degrees?? Suggestions??? Thanks
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

Glenda Kronke wrote:I thought that might be the problem. I can't believe I didn't get any texture either. In my big boys, I can do it at such lower temps. Also, can't I just turn it on 'high' to do this or do I need to worry about thermal shock on something this thin? I don't like having to baby sit it. It is SO different from the big boys!

Thanks
Unfortunately, I think you can thermal shock something that small at the rate at which those little kilns heat up. Brock
Brock

Post by Brock »

Kathie Karancz wrote:Hey Glenda: Hope your nice and warm (it's FREEZING here - minus 30 degrees - yikes!!! and you thought it was cold when you were here last year...)
Brock: I just bought a small Paragon kiln (Caldera). Haven't used it yet - do you think I need to up my temps by around 100 degrees?? Suggestions??? Thanks
Test, test. test. I don't know. Brock
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Glenda Kronke wrote:
clip
Customer needs this sample today
clip
do I need to worry about thermal shock on something this thin? I don't like having to baby sit it. It is SO different from the big boys!
Thanks
This will be interesting. Will she turn it on high and risk breaking the piece to get the job out today, or will she negotiate with the customer for additional time to 'do the job right'? Details at 6 on eyewitness news.
Glenda Kronke

Post by Glenda Kronke »

Kathie Karancz wrote:Hey Glenda: Hope your nice and warm (it's FREEZING here - minus 30 degrees - yikes!!! and you thought it was cold when you were here last year...)
Kathie, remember me telling you guys how stupid I was NOT knowing that you all up there use Celsius? when I was told it was 17 degrees I took all kinds of WINTER stuff (being from California that meant North Pole kinda stuff) and when I got there I was surprised at how warm it was? Geez, 17 degrees scared the bejeeesus outta me at the time. Yea, it's warm here- gotta go babysit the tiny kiln.

glenda
gone

Post by gone »

Glenda,
Maybe part of the reason it didn't pick up any texture is that it's so thin that there's very little weight. It takes longer to slump a small thin piece, than a large heavy one. I think your pyrometer is probably fine. Brocks answer to "test, test, test" is in my opinion the best advice on this board!
Glenda Kronke

Post by Glenda Kronke »

Don Burt wrote:
Glenda Kronke wrote:
clip
Customer needs this sample today
clip
do I need to worry about thermal shock on something this thin? I don't like having to baby sit it. It is SO different from the big boys!
Thanks
This will be interesting. Will she turn it on high and risk breaking the piece to get the job out today, or will she negotiate with the customer for additional time to 'do the job right'? Details at 6 on eyewitness news.
Don,
"I'm a donkey on the edge."

don't have to wait til 6...
at 12:12 (9:12) I turned the little guy on 'medium', came in here to post my first question.
at 12:22 (9:22) the temp read 500 deg. and I came in here to ask about turning it on 'high' - I wrote my response then went out and turned it on high anyway.
at 12:32 (9:32) after posting, I went to babysit. The temp climbed to 1350 in a matter of minutes, so I let it go up to 1400, peeked in kiln, let it climb back to 1400, peed in kiln ...oops, peeked in kiln, and continued doing this for 10 minutes. Then flash vented to 900 turned the kiln off and it is now hovering between 800-850. So I should be able see results in the next hour or two.

Els, I forgot about the weight(lessness) thing. I work mostly with 1/2", 3/4" and 1" float so that's probably why I can pick up textures more easily at lower temps.

Thanks all for the help. It's over now so if no texture shows up, I'll just tell the guy that the piece is so thin that unless I take it higher, it probably won't happen (I don't want to ruin his surface design). This is just a sample for one of his customers, so it's not like I'm getting paid or anything, It's not even a job I will get.... I was just trying to do him a 'quick' favor...

funny...as I'm writing this, the guy calls and asks if I had any luck...I tell him about last nites run at 1300 and that I now have it cooling after going to 1400 for 10 minutes. I mention the 'weight' thing and he sez...oh yea, well let me know if it worked.

end of story... no big deal... sorry to bother you all.. move along.

thanks all
Brock

Post by Brock »

No bother! Have you ever considered holding a sink workshop? Brock
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Yeh Glenda: Please - a sink workshop......... would love it.
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Judi R

Post by Judi R »

Sink workshop! Me too! Me too! :!:
Judi
Glenda Kronke

Post by Glenda Kronke »

You guys are going to get me in BIG trouble.

'nough said (for now).
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Ahhh come on Glenda - live on the wild side. Now I'm just being selfish, but I did notice the (for now) part. Keep me posted.
PS your little dish looks awesome in my new studio.
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Cristi

Post by Cristi »

a sink workshop..in Los Angeles? please, please, please...Maybe you can work something out with Pacific Art Glass in Gardena-not quite a garden spot though.

Cristi