source for hardware for sinks?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Liam

source for hardware for sinks?

Post by Liam »

Ive seen some very fancy P traps for sinks at the local megabox hardware. Of course you have to buy the sink to get the plumbing. Anybody know were to get fittings like these?

Liam
Glenda Kronke

sink hardware

Post by Glenda Kronke »

Liam,
there is a post started by Yodah on float sink annealing. In one of the responses, Nelson has posted photos of his sinks with some nice fittings. Perhaps he can tell you where he got them.

Thought this would be a good time to post a few insights/concerns/considerations for those wanting to make glass sinks.

When a glass sink breaks or cracks, the reason is almost always stress. Stress can be caused by many things. One of the more common causes of stress is an improperly fitting drain or overtightening the drain assembly. Sometimes the stress will not show up until months after installation. I cannot stress how important it is that the drain assembly fit properly. Stress can build up over time and then one day, 'pop'!

Think about this. For those sinks that are just sitting on a flat countertop, what is holding them in place besides the drain fitting? Think about the fact that all the stress is situated at the hole in the sink. (just putting the hole in the sink is stress) With no other kind of support holding the sink, it would not take much (someone putting pressure on the edge of the sink/leaning on it) to stress the drain hole area and cause a crack. Be sure you have something else to help support the sink and take some of the stress away from the drain hole area.

Also, remember that your sink will (most likely) not have an overflow. Most drains sold out there are not made for sinks without overflows. (There are also city building codes to consider).

I think most people here understand what thermal shock is, the problem is trying to educate the customer. For instance, lets say a guy is running warm/hot water in the sink for several minutes while he is shaving. The water is heating up a very small area of the sink and this in itself is not necessarily enough to crack the sink, but usually, after shaving, a guy wants to splash cold water on his face. You see the problem? Even the most properly annealed sink is subject to this kind of thermal shock.

The combination of an improperly fitting drain, no additional support for the sink, and thermal shock is cause for concern. Educating the customer (and plumber) is the hardest part.

Food for thought: you sell a sink, you caution the customer about thermal shock and hopefully get a competent plumber to install the sink so that there is the least amount stress. Six months later the customer calls and says their sink cracked. What do you do?

glenda
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Simple answer to the problem is to not make sinks. Kevin in Tofino
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »

Glass sinks can be undermounted. Of course, even still, the plumber must NOT over tighten that hardware. I made three sinks for a friend of mine. Two out of three are still there, four years later I may add. The one that broke, did so days after installation. I think it was the installation, I probably should have done it myself.

Also, if I were in the "business", which I am not, this was a favor for a friend, I would recommend sand blasting the hole and counter sinking the hardware. I have seen folks that sell their sinks with the hardware on there already. I'm sure MY plumber could still mess that one up, but it's still a step in the right direction.

I've also seen over flow's for some very high end sinks.

Also, if any one does want to under mount a glass sink, I would recommend, for fun, getting some of that LIGHT ROPE (??) and installing that on the underside. My Aunt did that and it look FABULOUS!! She bought her sink from a high end store here in town. It looks like the work of Scott Zog in the gallery... if I didn't know any better ... I'd say it was his ?! My Aunt didn't know, but she LOVED the light trick. Wish I had seen that trick before I did my friends sink! :roll:
Deborah
Cher

Post by Cher »

Googled "p traps sink drains" and got:

http://www.deabath.com/pedsinks/sinkdra ... rains2.htm

checked them out, got those for no overflow, any kind of setup you can configure. This place is the only one I checked out just now. A While back I found a place that showed all the fancy-schmancy ones and got the picture in my directory but not the name. But I'd think a call or search will find you everything you'll need including assembly instructions.

Dig that lighted rope idea! I'm using some in our new "spa" so I think it'd be great. BTW: First aggreement was that THIS sink will not be for tooth brushing, shaving, etc. Purely hand rinses, facial splashes and other la-di-da uses only. :lol:
>^..^<
Nelson Tan

Post by Nelson Tan »

Liam

try to look for "bottle trap" as oppose to "p trap"
bottle trap looks better and cleaner

KLUDI brand is what we use. solid brass metal, chrome coated made in Germany.

for sink drain we try to use mushroom type. with this, if you want water not to flow down the drain simply push down the "mushroom head" and the water is trapped. push again water is released

nelson