Unclean! Unclean!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brock

Unclean! Unclean!

Post by Brock »

I just ran a virus check on my computer. In my inimitable Luddite fashion, I have no protection installed, I've never even backed up any information.

18, 801 files

3.2 GB

25 virusii!

Thanks, Paul Stevenson, for this link:

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

You're welcome Brock, I just hope you backup your vital stuff like accounts and designs!!! Just imagine losing years and years of work because some punk computer vandal wants to make name for himself.

With such fame, Symantec and McAfee offers them a job to write virus killer software.
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
BobB

Re: Unclean! Unclean!

Post by BobB »

Brock wrote:I just ran a virus check on my computer. In my inimitable Luddite fashion, I have no protection installed, I've never even backed up any information.

18, 801 files

3.2 GB

25 virusii!
A hackers dream!
lauren

Post by lauren »

good program, thanks for the link!

i like the 'virus' removed by healing' summary at the end

there was some laying on of hands on my computer tonight. hehe.
Last edited by lauren on Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

We self-righteous sysadms have a saying that there are only two categories of backup practitioners: those who back-up their systems currently, and those that will.
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

There are a lot of reasons to back up besides viruses. Like mechanical stuff. This weekend my track pad button on my laptop broke while I was on the road. Couldn't do much of anything until I got home and plugged a regular mouse into the back.

Remember Murphy's law.

BTW, interesting site and topic -- What's your law?

http://www.edge.org
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Oops! Double post!
Last edited by Gale aka artistefem on Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gale aka artistefem

Brock......how's this for protection - LOL?

We have two firewalls & a virus search and destroy program and even this doesn't keep the buggers out.

My system has been getting slower and slower, so two days ago, I installed a spyware search and destroy program. I found 158 nasties in my computer: info trackers, browser highjackers and trackers that were embedded in software programs that I have purchased for use.

These trackers slow your computer down because they are constantly monitering and talking to your computer - sending your personal info to their parent companies....... And browser high-jackers??? Don't even get me started on these pieces of____________work!

These spyware programs should be run once a week. Just for kicks, I ran it again last night and in the space of 24 hours, had picked up 18 new trackers and 1 high-jacker. I had goggled only 3 times, read my email and checked the board during that space of time.

Makes me want to go buy an island and just hibernate. Folks, there is no privacy anymore. Big Bro has our number and is dialing it!
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Brock, Paul...does the free download have a Mac version?

E
Brock

Post by Brock »

ellen abbott wrote:Brock, Paul...does the free download have a Mac version?

E
I just looked and didn't see one. Brock
charlie

Post by charlie »

E
there doesn't need to be one, since mac's are immune to almost every one of the latest versions of malware.
Brock

Post by Brock »

BobB

for mac users

Post by BobB »

charlie wrote:

E
there doesn't need to be one, since mac's are immune to almost every one of the latest versions of malware.
For Mac users.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nu ... ar_sch_nam
Gale aka artistefem

http://www.spyware.com

for those of you who are interested.

$29.95 for the software download.
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Gotta love a Mac.

E
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Here's an article from "Security Focus" magazine on an FBI agent's visit to a computer class. It is not technical at all. There is some pretty scary stuff as well as some pretty funny stuff.

He has some interesting things to say about Macs as well.

In the discussion below the article a couple of people have posted that the newest Mac OS is built from the ground up to work on a network, so it has lots of security features built in. It can encrypt your entire hard drive on the fly if you want.

http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/sf ... .pl?id=215
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

charlie wrote:

E
True -- but it has nothing to do with having better technology. A mac is less likely to be hit with a virus because mac's don't have enough market share to interest virus writers. The enormous installed base of Windows make Windows the preferred target.

Also of interest, almost all anti-virus development by McAfee and Symantec (Norton) is done overseas in some very specific countries. Interestingly (but probably not suprisingly) the same countries usually end up being origination points for many of the viruses. Don Corleone probably wishes he'd come up with the idea first :)

- Paul
acrawford

Post by acrawford »

I have had a Mac for 3 and a half years. Viruses? Never! My answer to the issue is to give Gates the gate and get a Mac!

Have any of you Mac users had viri?

Always curious, Ailsa
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Not that I'm aware of. I've always been a Mac user and we got our first one in 1987! I know people who have switched from PCs to Macs but never the other way around.

E
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

OK, I would like to have another program check my computer. I have Norton protection, but my computer is behaving as if there is something else going on behind the scene (weird memory lapses, slow-downs, etc). Norton says no viruses. But...

Now I may be totally paranoid, but the link that was posted - I've never heard of these guys, are they absolutely, totally above suspicion? I don't download files or invite some outside entity to browse around my harddrive without assurances. I once downloaded CuteFTP on the advice of my internet provider only to discover that the spyware it put on my harddrive was still there after I deleted the program. It caused all kinds of errors until it became common knowledge and I had it deleted. The only downloads I do (other than stealing pictures), are from Norton or Microsoft.

Lynne