BEWARE of where you purchase a kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

camaro

BEWARE of where you purchase a kiln

Post by camaro »

I am so frustrated, and need to know if any one else has had the same experience. 3 wks. ago I ordered a kiln. Due to the fact this private persons business uses this board, I will not mention their name. Anyway make a long, long story short. I keep getting reasons why I have not recieved my kiln. We made an agreement verbally, that I would pay when I recieved it, I still have my check on my refrigerator, I was so excited to get this kiln. Well I'm still waiting. So to anyone buying a kiln be careful who you do buisiness with, if I ran my business this way, I would not have any clients. Just had to vent. :cry:
charlie

Post by charlie »

some (most?) sellers don't stock kilns. they get drop shipped directly from the manufacturer, who also don't usually stock kilns. they get made especially for you when they are ordered. if the manufacturer is making other orders, they may not get to yours for a while. 3 weeks isn't much. i've heard of people waiting 3 months.

furthermore, it could take at least a week just in truck shipment time.

if you're not happy with the service, vote with your dollars and shop elsewhere. if it still is delivered, don't accept it.
Joy

Post by Joy »

I ordered a kiln around before Thanksgiving. It took 7 weeks. I was anxious to get it as well, but it had to be built and then it took a week to ship. But I was told it would take about that long when I ordered it. If you ordered a medium to large kiln, I would expect at least another 3 weeks. :(
BobB

kilns

Post by BobB »

It took me about 3 to 4 weeks to get my Paragon kiln. I live close to the Paragon plant and picked mine up when it was ready. While waiting for them to load it I asked them why it took so long. The answer was that they did not stock many kilns. They pretty much built them to order. The company I ordered from said they had sold 60 kilns that month. They are only one distributor of 100's. It probably a demand versus supply problem which unfortunately means you'll have to wait and be patient. My supplier was able to give me a hard delivery date and they did meet it to the day.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Hi Camero -

You've gotten some good information so far about the wait time on kilns...

I hope this story about my last kiln purchasing experience makes you feel better about your wait.

Some years ago I ordered a large custom kiln. The owner of the shop that was building it for me promised to have it done in a month. I was so excited I could hardly stand it and just wanted to use it! I put a $1000 deposit on the kiln and started to wait...and wait...and wait.

After a month, I called, expecting it to be done as promised. They hadn't even started working on it. I asked when it would be done...I was told another month. Same thing the next month. This went on for months and months.

After 9 months I called and asked if it was done yet. They said no and in total frustration I said, "I could have had a BABY by now. Is someone giving birth to this kiln or what?" That didn't work to get it done either.

Anyway, after a year of this runaround, it was finally finished and I took it home.

I think you're fortunate that you didn't have to put a deposit down on the kiln to seal the deal and needlessly tie up a bunch of money until it was delivered. I understand your wanting the kiln, but 3 weeks isn't really all that long to wait , especially if it's being built for you and/or has to be shipped.

We get so excited about a new kiln and want it NOW...at least I know I did. LOL.

I'm sure you'll get it soon and the wait will have been worth it.

Geri
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

When I made the decision to buy a "large" kiln, I asked my dealer to call the distributor to find out what they had in stock. They had the 23" Evenheat in stock so I had them put it on the next truck. I had it in a next week. The larger kilns were back-ordered more than two months.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
LindaJo

Post by LindaJo »

I was supposed to get my kiln at Christmas but just got it about 3 weeks ago. The kiln maker that made my kiln makes them as they get the orders they don't build and stock em up. And they were behind. But I was willing to wait. So I hope yours is coming. Mine was well worth the wait. Good luck, Eljay
vblue

Post by vblue »

We sell a lot of Paragon kilns at the shop where I work. (Fort Worth) We usually try to tell people that it will take at least 2-3 weeks to get a kiln when ordered because Paragon usually doesn't have too many kilns in stock. They make them when they are ordered.
I don't know if you ordered a Paragon or not. I also had a friend who ordered a Skutt (I think, anyway, not a Paragon) and they had to wait almost a month before getting it. Whoever you ordered the kiln from should have told you a time frame as to when to expect it.

Vernelle
Tess Farley

Post by Tess Farley »

Year before last, I ordered an 18-9 Evenheat kiln from my wholesaler in Colorado. The kiln was dropped shipped from Evenheat in Michigan and I received it in about a week. Unfortunately I was unable to use the kiln right away due to the amount of time I was having to wait for my husband to wire the 220 outlet. :roll:
watershed

Post by watershed »

Wait time vs DIY. Do some research and decide. With DIY, you only have yourself to blame, oh and the electrician, and the relay supplier, and the controller guys...

I've bought used kilns and re-built them. Instant gratification, and full knowledge. If/when I build the walk in annealer, I'll do it myself, because I won't wait a year to get it. And boy, you'll see the pics... ;-)

Greg
cindyj

Post by cindyj »

I guess I am one of the lucky kiln purchasers. Bought my first kiln from Marty at Centre DeVerre. Had the kiln dropped shipped and picked it up at the local depot. I think the process took a couple of weeks. Then Marty walked me through my first program! A month ago the top element died (one year old kiln). Called Jen-Ken and had a new element (free of charge) in 3 days.

Looking forward to a new bigger kiln one day and will follow the same path I did before! Can't beat the service.

Cindy
Kristalwick

Post by Kristalwick »

I have a nightmare kiln story. Bought a very expenisve raku kiln from Laguna Clay. Took them 3 months to get the kiln delivered to my door anfter calling them EVERY day to remind them of this order (I had paid in full up front).

The guys delivered the kiln and it was set up for the wrong outlet, not propane!!! After watching them take the kiln back with tears in my eyes (so close and yet so far away...), waiting another 3 months, I finally cancelled the order and had someone make me a raku kiln. Unbelievable...