Beginner needs help! Want distinct edges.

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

glassluver

Beginner needs help! Want distinct edges.

Post by glassluver »

I've tried numerous experiments to achieve distinct edging. I'm trying, for instance, to create a picture of an iris. The points of the leaves "round" too much and narrow spaces between leaves where I want the background space to maintain a separation "squeeze" together. My best trys are with a tack fuse with the art work on the upside to hold everything in place. Then I flip it with the art work down and fuse as slow as possible so the background can melt down around the art work. I've tried "damming up" the art work with clear frit which helps some -- solid clear is too hard because of multiple curves on the art work. I'm trying to get everything flat -- no relief. I would like the distinct edges as in this picture - http://www.warmglass.org/gallery/GalColeman2.htm Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I'm totally frustrated. Thanks, Robert.
Mira

Post by Mira »

Maybe you could try using pearl ex powders as was done in the photo you referenced. You might also try some Thompson enamal paints to get the crisp edge.

Another thing to try would be to cut your pieces precisly, like a stained glass window, and then fire them assembled on top of a blank.

In any event, good luck!

Mira
charlie

Post by charlie »

if the background is clear, perhaps clear powder between the pieces would hold them in shape better? it will probably be hazy, since the powder will have tiny air bubbles in it though.
Barbara Muth

Re: Beginner needs help! Want distinct edges.

Post by Barbara Muth »

glassluver wrote:I've tried numerous experiments to achieve distinct edging. I'm trying, for instance, to create a picture of an iris. The points of the leaves "round" too much and narrow spaces between leaves where I want the background space to maintain a separation "squeeze" together. My best trys are with a tack fuse with the art work on the upside to hold everything in place. Then I flip it with the art work down and fuse as slow as possible so the background can melt down around the art work. I've tried "damming up" the art work with clear frit which helps some -- solid clear is too hard because of multiple curves on the art work. I'm trying to get everything flat -- no relief. I would like the distinct edges as in this picture - http://www.warmglass.org/gallery/GalColeman2.htm Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I'm totally frustrated. Thanks, Robert.
Robert those edges are crisp becauuse a thin layer of ,in this case, mica was airbrushed on the glass. Then Ron masked off some of the coating and sandblasted the rest away.

Instead of tackfusing, flipping and firing, why not assemble the whole thing upside down in the first place and then sllloooooowwwly slumping the base sheet over and into the spaces to squeeze out air and take to a full fuse, flip it over and take to a full fuse again. You may achieve your goals that way.

Or use a stencil to sift colored powders on the base glass in the design you hope to achieve.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS