Middle school okay?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

sunflower

Middle school okay?

Post by sunflower »

I am a Middle School Art teacher and have recently purchased a glass fusing 'kit' with a book and "stuff". The book assumes I am buying a kiln specifically for glass. I currently have a large Skutt for ceramics and a good sized enameling kiln. Would I be able to use either of those for doing small fusing projects? Does anyone else do this art with pre-teen/teen kids? Can you tell me where I can get more 'beginner' type info?
Cheryl

sure!

Post by Cheryl »

There's lots of info in the archives about what firing schedule to use when you're working with a ceramic kiln. I would try searching for "ceramic kiln" and "firing."

Second, I'm not sure what kit you've gotten, but there is lots of beginner level info now on the market. One very simple project book is by Gil Reynolds. Lisa Vogt has a series of project books also on the market. If you'd like a better understanding of the whole process, AND some good projects, you should buy Brad's book (the developer of this site). It's called Contemporary Warm Glass, and you can buy it thru the link on this site - look at the right-hand side of your screen.

If you have a stained glass store nearby where you live, wander in. They often have the kind of books you're looking for. Also, there is a magazine, Glass Craftsman, that features very simple fusing designs that I would imagine could be readily adapted to middle school kids.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

You might also visit Patty Gray's website at http://www.pattygray.com.

She has taught a number of children's classes at Kirkland Arts Center in Seattle. There are photographs of the student projects on her website.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Marty

Post by Marty »

Sunflower- I've done projects with elementary school kids, as have others.
Check the archives for details. Marty
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

Sunflower, Middle school art teachers are among the bravest of the brave!... I've had success fusing with kids as young as 3 (has to be the right kind of kid, though) I think pre-teen kids are the perfect age- Email me if you'd like & maybe I can help you out.
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider