Disappearing act~~~~~~~~~~

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vickie

Disappearing act~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Vickie »

Hi all,
I just received my new Tauras 3 ring saw, and want to know of a good marking pen that will not wash away my pattern, with all the water that is being sprayed on the glass.
Thanks,
Vickie
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hi Vicki, I don't have the Tarus III yet just ordered it today but I do have the Gryphon Wire saw. I use chap stick over my black marking pen and it keeps the mark on pretty good. Just mark the chapstick you use on the glass. lol Nanc
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

Yes, chapstick works, or just a light coat of plain old vaseline!
Candy Kahn

Post by Candy Kahn »

OR, you an use rubber cement or spray adhesive.

candy
Candy Kahn
Art in Glass
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

Or rub with a candle. It's not as messy as using chapstick.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

or stip the two step and use a grease pencil.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

I've used the Deco (?) pen with good success. I get them through The Art Glass House. You can get white or black. One time I couldn't find my Deco so I used my Pilot pen. Same thing happened with me. The mark washed away before I could get the blade to it.

I tried Vaseline on the mark but hated cleaning off all that grease, so I ordered more pens.

Judy
Linda Hassur

Post by Linda Hassur »

There's a product made especially for this called "mark stay" I use that but lst use a Pilot metallic pen. The two used together (make sure the pen line is completely dry before smearing on the "mark stay") usually stays on during the cutting process. I have a Gryphon saw. Linda
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I have a Taurus III and do the same as Linda. Pilot gold marker and markstay are the best I've found. I have also had people tell me that vaseline, or rubbing a candle on the mark are also effective.
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

Whatever kind of pen you use, if you allow it to dry awhile (probably a days is best, but at any rate give it some time), it won't come off as readily. I haven't found anything really perfect -- the combination of vibration and water is very effective at lifting marks or rubber cement. The most sure method I found was to use a Pebeo marker, Vitrail or ...whatever the other line is :), and bake it on. Because the mark is thin, it doesn't have to dry long, and doesn't have to bake long. I haven't had much luck with the vaseline/chapstick method: I have a hard enough time seeing the mark through the water; with goo on top of it, I can only guess where the line really is.
Find peace in your heart.

www.azurefire.etsy.com
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

You only need the thinnest of coatings with vaseline...it doesn't need to be thick or gooey. Just touch your fingertip to the vaseline and wipe it over the mark. That way you can see through it and the residue comes off when you wipe the water off after you're done cutting/grinding. The Markstay stuff works, too, but considering the price differential and easy availability, I much prefer the Vaseline (even cheaper if you don;t insist on name-brand!!)