fusing and lampwork combined

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

beadnsue

Post by beadnsue »

There are ways to combine fusing and lampwork. Can anyone point me toward posts or websites? I tried the archives, but probably am not using the right words for search.
Anyone who can help??
Thanks!
SusanLambert
Cheryl

do you have specific questions?

Post by Cheryl »

If you're lampworking with the same COE glass as you're using to fuse, go for it. There's nothing to know. You can fuse anything together - make bits & bobs at the torch, pile them on/under your sheet glass and/or frit, stringer, etc. No holds barred.
beadnsue

Post by beadnsue »

Yes....but.... ;-)

There are people who do this while both pieces of glass are hot, so there are good ways and bad ways to do this.
I'm thinking I will have to prewarm the torchwork and put it onto the fused piece when it hits about 1000 degrees. So it would be very nice to have some advice from one who has done this.
Thanks!
SusanLambert
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

There isn't any need to prewarm anything that I know of, put the lampworked pieces and sheet glass together in the kiln cold and be sure to use a conservative warm up and good annealing time to accommodate the extra thickness of the lampworked pieces. I do this all the time and have never had any problems combining things on top of or in between sheet glass, check out my website for examples--one of the floating boxes, one large sculpture and the big commission all include lampworked parts. I can't imagine why you would try and work with them at 1000 degrees--to what end? Seems much more risky in fact than warming everything up slowly in the kiln. Hope this helps! Oh and make sure the lampworked glass is the same COE as the sheet.
Amy
Last edited by Amy on Salt Spring on Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lissa

Post by lissa »

What exactly are you wanting to do? More info. might help people steer you in the direction you are interested in.

I pre-warm pieces in the kiln to around 1000 d/f when I am going to pull them from the kiln and work them further in the torch, either adding to, or manipulating. Perhaps that is what you are referring to? When I do this, though, they go back in the kiln to get annealed and once cooled are pulled out, added to other cold glass, then it all goes back in the kiln together to be fused and annealed into a larger piece. Perhaps this helps.

lissa.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I'm not a torchworker per se, but I pull, twist, and generally contort glass over a torch to make decorative elements that I then incorporate into kiln worked vessels. I combine the elements cold, and let the kiln "glue" them up. Can't see any advantage to doing it hot. Paul Stankard lets his extremely delicate little beauties cool to room temp, then heats them again to encase.
beadnsue

Post by beadnsue »

Well what am I thinking of making? I'm dreaming actually of fusing a piece and adding the lampworked parts as tacked to the fused piece without a whole lot of melting. For instance.. when I lampwork, many times I will make something, put it in the kiln, and then bring it back out to add to another lampworked piece that I'm torching. Then they will fuse together in the torch.
So, I am thinking of fusing a pendant, for instance, and adding lampworked elements to it. I don't want to fuse them together on a fusing schedule, as I could lose some of the shape and decorative features of the lampwork. I have thought I can full fuse a piece, and then after flash venting to 1000, I could add the torched elements. I thought maybe it had been discussed here.
I have fused for 10 years and yes... I am very aware of compatibility.
Still would love to hear any info you may have.
Susan Lambert
Mira

Post by Mira »

Hi Susan,

Why not fuse your pendants and then in a second firing, tack fuse your lamp-worked elements? Use a schedule just hotter than fire polishing and you shouldn't lose the shape of the pendent at all.

Seems risky to me to add lamp-worked elements on the fly . . . I don't understand how your lamp-worked elements can go into the the kiln at one temp while your fused work is at 1000. Seems to me the difference in temps could create a problem and it might be a little hot in there to be messing around getting everything set up just right. I guess you'd have to be pretty quick too, or the temp may drop enough to cause thermal shock.

Sounds like two firings would be easier/safer. On the other hand, if you're trying to save time while in heavy production, I believe your idea may work. In any event, I'm always an advocate of experimentation, regardless of the advice on the board. Report back if you decide to try it . . . I'd like to hear about how it turns out and if you felt it was more efficient.

Good Luck,

Mira
beadnsue

Post by beadnsue »

Just discussing it here has helped. I am using two kilns. One would have the fusing in it, the other is the annealer for lampwork.
Now... I'm thinking out loud here.
I'll bet I could fuse a piece and then put it in the annealer... one of those "ah hah!" moments.
Then I could add whatever I want to the fused piece.
I'll let you know what happens and thank you all for the input. I'll probably try it today.

SusanLambert
I had to re-register with this group because my old registration wouldn't work. Long story why I haven't posted for probably two years. Let's just say one phrase..health problems. But things are good and I'm back in the groove. :-)