Striking BE 1122 Red

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AVLucky

Striking BE 1122 Red

Post by AVLucky »

I just purchased (mail order) a piece of bullseye red cathedral #1122, not realizing I would have to strike it to get the true color. That wouldn't be a problem, except that I'm planning to use it for a painting project, not fusing. My other concern is that I don't want to fire high enough to lose the texture. If I'm using stainer paints and firing to about 1200 degrees, is that enough to strike the glass?
lissa

Post by lissa »

I can't tell you for sure because I don't know exact temps for that glass, but I have slumped BE orange (which strikes in a full fuse firing) and it didn't strike at 1225 F. Why not email Bullseye and ask them, I bet they can tell you. Or better yet, do a test and then you'll have your answer.

lissa.
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

I have run tests in three different kilns so far. My first tests were in a little hotbox kiln. I fired one piece to 1300, and there was barely any change. I also did a full-fuse firing, and got almost the color I wanted, but not quite red enough. I also tried some pieces in a Speedburn gas-fired flash kiln. Firings at 1210, 1280, and 1325 all produced the same color, which still was too orange. I thought that maybe because both of these kilns fire very quickly, I wasn't getting good results that I might get from a slower firing with a good soak time. So I tried that too, in my usual fusing kiln. A slow ramp and a half-hour soak at 1300 produced diasappointing results--still not red enough. I've heard that the amount of oxygen in the kiln would affect colors sometimes. Does anybody know about that? I am about to give up on this experiment soon, but a couple last-ditch efforts might be worth it if I have some clues about which way to go.