hot start

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dick Ditore

hot start

Post by Dick Ditore »

I just got a skutt hot start kiln. I was looking for a small kiln for tests, and small pieces. Most were 300-400 for about a 6"-8". This is just over 500, but takes a 13" shelf, and has a controller. Got it in 3 days, no shipping and it works great.

Just thought I would share.

Dick
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Do you find the controller adequate? I've been hesitating to recommend it to my customers because I'm afraid it is too limited.
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Lynne, like with almost all controllers you can change them/over-ride the programs. Skutt was willing to help with this at the Vegas show which was great. The basic controller set up allows you to program for simple firings, but as you advance and if you use different types of glass (thickness, desired looks, etc.) you need to be able to have the program fit your firing. The price is great when you consider you get a controller and the kiln runs on 120 volts, 15 amps. I did test firings in a kiln before Vegas and I was very happy with the firings. I did several 3/4" thick sample pieces in the kiln too and it was great to be able to program annealing. Patty Gray