Ever seen THIS before?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

David Jenkins

Re: Ever seen THIS before?

Post by David Jenkins »

Isn't kitty litter pretty much all bentonite? Look at the product label in some cheap brand and see if that wouldn't work for you.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

pottery place will likely have catalogues or just google bentonite. i think the archives at clay times magazine would help with the exact cleansing protocol. also monona rossul (sp?) has discussed this. rosanna ps if it is galvanised, tell your metal supplier that he/she is a dumbass. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

Did a test fire with scrap and there was absolutely no scum or even a trace of devit on the piece! Yeah! It did seem to be a little darker than the other pieces that I have made with the same color...strange. I used a transparent medium/dark blue. Don't have any reactives to try. Perhaps I should throw some clear in to try? Do you think I still need to clean it out with the clay?

Don't have a torch to see if the metal is, perhaps, galvanized. Don't think I'll put any more in the kiln anyway!
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

that is good. i would not bother with thw bentonite unless you get problems with reactives in the future. the burner on a gass grill would work or even a small bonfire or pile of charcoal would be enough heat to test the metal. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Any chance something crawled under your kiln shelf before you started firing and that's ash?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

Nope, nothing under the shelf. I had taken it out to do the setup. I did another test with clear scrap, and all seems okay now. Whew! Thanks again to ALL for you help! Nothing else in my kiln unless I know exactly what it is - although I thought I knew what this was :-k

Think I'll pre-fire EVERYTHING now. Never really needed to pre-fired before, so when I vent the kiln to prevent something like this from happening by pre-firing, at what temp do I vent the kiln?
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Usually, by the time you get to 1000ºF, organics are burned up. Venting allows more oxygen to re-enter the atmosphere, which would remove a reducing atmosphere.

I am still concerned about your phenomenon. I have never seen anything like this before. I'd like to know what your metal really is, considering this seems to be the grayest area of difference from the norm.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

So do I vent at 1000,or lower? How long do I vent for?

I'm sending a piece of metal to my son- a phd candidate chemist -to test. That should finally answer some questions.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Vent UNTIL 1000 . . .
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

smallbitz wrote:I'm sending a piece of metal to my son- a phd candidate chemist -to test. That should finally answer some questions.
Your son the chemist may well have the best clue as to what would cause crystals to precipitate all over your kiln interior. It is not a big surprise that crystals sitting on the glass surface at high temperature would promote devit (devit is also crystalline).
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

I'll post when I get results from him. Thanks again for everyone's help!