Cleaning glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Stella

Cleaning glass

Post by Stella »

Having a bit of a problem with cutters oil left on small pieces of glass layered on top of larger piece. Was curious how most of you pros clean your pieces prior to fusing. Thanks!
Andrew

Clean machine

Post by Andrew »

Water. Lots of water. I often put small pieces in a strainer and then rinse each piece individually and wipe dry with a Bounty paper towel. I then spray each piece with Isopropyl alchohol and wipe with a clean paper towel.

Andrew
scooter riegelsperger

Post by scooter riegelsperger »

I have a very easy solution to oil residue from cutters. Quit using it. I cut ALOT of glass & never use oil. I've tried it & get no different results. The only thing I got from it was oily glass. I do still wash everything before fusing, 1st in mild detergent, dry, then methyl alchohol wash & dry.[/b]
Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?
Stella

Post by Stella »

Thanks for your replies. I will try cutting sans oil and will wash, dry and use alchohol. You guys are awesome!

Stella
slats

cleaning

Post by slats »

I make a mixture of 1/3 water, 1/3 vinegar, 1/3/ iso alcohol....also use special blue towels that you get at home depot...they dont leave lint...they are in the paint dept.....
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I don't use oil either. All of my Toyo cutters are air lubricated. Interestingly, I still get months of use from the heads, and that is with high use production cutting.
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

I wash all my pieces with soapy water and rinse very well. I purchase "baby diapers" and use them to do the drying - no lint!