Got Free Rods and Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

glass-lady

Got Free Rods and Glass

Post by glass-lady »

Someone gave me a whole load of glass rods, pellets, curly pieces, e.g., all supplies from a lampworker but no idea what COE. I took a one day lampworking class several months ago where we had a super nice torch set-up. Lampworking will be 4th in what I like to do, with glass painting/fusing #1, stained glass #2, and oil painting #3. Would like some recommendations on what type of torch set-up to buy that would work decently at a hobbiest level at a reasonable cost. Thank you all so much.
Jeanne

Re: Got Free Rods and Glass

Post by Jeanne »

http://www.lampworketc.com/

What warmglass.com is to fusing - lampworketc.com is to working with the torch. Everything you want and need to know is there. You'll then be able to decide what's best for you. Happy torching!
Last edited by Jeanne on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

You could start off with a Hot Head torch and Mapp gas. Then get a more sophisticated set-up if you decide you like torchworking.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Barry Gitelson

Post by Barry Gitelson »

I have a hot head that is hooked up to a five gallon LP tank and that works fine for me.
Barry Gitelson
Kona, HI

"Some dance to remember, some dance to forget" Hotel California - The Eagles

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
glass-lady

Post by glass-lady »

Thank you all very much. I went with the Hot Head because it seemed to be at the non-killer level of investment for something that may be a passing fancy. Thank you very much for the site link, that will prove useful.