Weiss Judaica

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Judd

Weiss Judaica

Post by Judd »

I'm looking at buying Menorah candle cups (silver colored, probably aluminum and very affordable) from Weiss Judaica. Has anyone had experience with the company? I tried Rite Lite, but saw only brass (and a much higher price). I placed this here because the employee of Weiss said the hole on the bottom of the cup was not threaded, whereas the Rite Lite's were. My thought was to force a threaded rod in the hole, then attach it to my glass - or would I be better off just getting the threaded hole cups from Rite Lite?

In case that was confusing:
1) Weiss or Rite Lite?
2) Threaded or non-threaded hole?

Thanks.
rosanna gusler

Re: Weiss Judaica

Post by rosanna gusler »

easy enough to tap threads into aluminum. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Judd

Post by Judd »

My thoughts too. Hmmmm...
Bharr

Post by Bharr »

Weiss is very old and reliable. I glue my candle cups on. I use 3M Scotch weld DP-190 2 part epoxy. Pricey, but will NEVER come apart.
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

Judd wrote:I'm looking at buying Menorah candle cups (silver colored, probably aluminum and very affordable) from Weiss Judaica. Has anyone had experience with the company? I tried Rite Lite, but saw only brass (and a much higher price). I placed this here because the employee of Weiss said the hole on the bottom of the cup was not threaded, whereas the Rite Lite's were. My thought was to force a threaded rod in the hole, then attach it to my glass - or would I be better off just getting the threaded hole cups from Rite Lite?

In case that was confusing:
1) Weiss or Rite Lite?
2) Threaded or non-threaded hole?

Thanks.
At the risk of sounding dense, exactly how (and what kind of) threaded rod do I force through the hole in the bottom of the cup? Then do I drill a small hole into the glass to accomodate the threaded rod? Just can't quite visualize it. Or is it better to just glue them in place? Thanks!

SB