Printing on thin fire

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

catherine

Printing on thin fire

Post by catherine »

I am looking for info on printing on thin fire paper and fusing between 96. I have a trophy job and need to include golf club logo? I do not want sepia color....black print would work best,
Stephen Richard

Re: Printing on thin fire

Post by Stephen Richard »

Thinfire turns to powder upon firing. You may get the image transferred to the glass, but you will have a pile of powder in between. Transfers can give strong images. You could use vitreous paint or enamels to obtain the image.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

catherine wrote:I am looking for info on printing on thin fire paper and fusing between 96. I have a trophy job and need to include golf club logo? I do not want sepia color....black print would work best,
I haven't printed on thinfire but I have drawn an image with a pencil and place it between two pieces of glass and the thinfire stayed white with the image on it.
HEIDI in Wa. state

Post by HEIDI in Wa. state »

I just did a 200 piece trophy order. They also wanted their logo. I screen printed them and they looked great. If you don't have access to that option test the Thinfire method and just make the white a design element.
HEIDI
catherine

Post by catherine »

I have a print gocco silkscreen printer. Which brand of enamel paint would you recommend? is it hard to silkscreen on the glass? The logo would not be more then 2X 2 inches. also does the print need to be capped with clear 96? Thanks for sharing your expert knowledge
HEIDI in Wa. state

Post by HEIDI in Wa. state »

catherine wrote:I have a print gocco silkscreen printer. Which brand of enamel paint would you recommend? is it hard to silkscreen on the glass? The logo would not be more then 2X 2 inches. also does the print need to be capped with clear 96? Thanks for sharing your expert knowledge
Oh, those print Gocco units are fun! I have used that unit once for printing on glass. I use the Ferro enamels. One word of warning for the print Gocco, wash the screens carefully if you want to reuse them.
If I can get the picture to load I will post the design I used for the Gocco unit.
Good luck
HEIDI
My Picture is too big-I will try to re-size it...
Last edited by HEIDI in Wa. state on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

catherine wrote:I have a print gocco silkscreen printer. Which brand of enamel paint would you recommend? is it hard to silkscreen on the glass? The logo would not be more then 2X 2 inches. also does the print need to be capped with clear 96? Thanks for sharing your expert knowledge
Catherine,
Our Kaiser Glass paints are made to be screen printed. You can adjust the viscosity up with Ferro 3269 or down with A-14. The viscosity is very important to achieve a detailed print.

Barry