Wizard Grinder Bearing going

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jeanne

Wizard Grinder Bearing going

Post by Jeanne »

Pretty sure a bearing is going in my grinder. It's out of warranty and I'm going to get another (it's about 8 years old) but was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to refurbish the motor themselves?
AndyT

Re: Wizard Grinder Bearing going

Post by AndyT »

Jeanne wrote:Pretty sure a bearing is going in my grinder. It's out of warranty and I'm going to get another (it's about 8 years old) but was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to refurbish the motor themselves?
Pretty sure Inland will sell you another motor or you might be able order one from Grainger. The motor brand is Fasco made by Fasco Industries, Motor Division. Motor number is 7121-7924
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

I bought a new motor from Glastar for my Superstar; my husband replaced it; works great!
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Lynn g wrote:I bought a new motor from Glastar for my Superstar; my husband replaced it; works great!
The motors of Glastar and Inland are not universal.
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

Hi Jeanne-

I would shop around for the motor. Depending on the grinder, the motor may cost more than buying a new one (especially if you go to Grainger.)

Not sure of which grinder you had, but I saw this on the Central Jersey CL a couple of days ago. Can't tell the model in the photo, but you never know...

http://cnj.craigslist.org/art/3077770059.html

Guy
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

GuyKass wrote:Hi Jeanne-

I would shop around for the motor. Depending on the grinder, the motor may cost more than buying a new one (especially if you go to Grainger.)

Not sure of which grinder you had, but I saw this on the Central Jersey CL a couple of days ago. Can't tell the model in the photo, but you never know...

http://cnj.craigslist.org/art/3077770059.html

Guy
That's a link for a wood rack.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yahaftalook . . .
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

AndyT wrote:
Lynn g wrote:I bought a new motor from Glastar for my Superstar; my husband replaced it; works great!
The motors of Glastar and Inland are not universal.
I didn't mean that. I just meant to give an example of a replacement motor working well (and it was pretty easy to install, also). I expect replacing an Inland motor would be comparable.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Brock wrote:Yahaftalook . . .
At what? There were only two listing for stained glass stuff and neither showed a pic of a grinder.
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

The grinder is mentioned in the description. It is on the shelf in the background of the second pic.