fiber blanket under pot melt?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Blackburn

fiber blanket under pot melt?

Post by Linda Blackburn »

I have so much trouble removing kiln wash from the bottom of my pot melts that I was wondering if I could use 1/8" fiber blanket?
Linda Blackburn

"Art flourishes where there is a sense of adventure." - Alfred North Whitehead
Brock

Re: fiber blanket under pot melt?

Post by Brock »

You're going to have to remove that also . . . and you'll probably need a sandblaster.
Mary Lou

Post by Mary Lou »

I have heard of others placing a clear blank on the shelf.
Barry Gitelson

Post by Barry Gitelson »

I have only done a few pot melts ... but I put a single clear sheet as a base for each one and they worked out ok.
Barry Gitelson
Kona, HI

"Some dance to remember, some dance to forget" Hotel California - The Eagles

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Pat K.

Post by Pat K. »

Besides the clear glass make sure your kiln shelf is newly kilnwashed. I've found that if my kiln wash has had repeated uses, it tends to stick more, and I've lowered my top temp to 1650. Hope this helps.

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
Yardic Glassworks

Post by Yardic Glassworks »

I use 1/8 fiber paper under almost all of my pot melts. I have never had trouble getting the fiber paper off using only water and a green scrubby.
Tim Yardic
Yardic Glassworks
Brock

Post by Brock »

Well . . . good. I've found tons of bits of FP just on the sides of my blanks.
The glass tends to engulf them. I never put FP under them for that reason.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

You won't necessarily see the fibers, but that doesn't mean they're not there, and if they are embedded a green scrubby won't get (all of) them off. What's left can show up in subsequent firings just under the surface, as little goofy-shaped bubbles, hazy areas or specks of "dirt." If they don't, great. Generally, whenever it's critical that I NOT get them, I get them. :?
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Linda Blackburn

Post by Linda Blackburn »

I just wanted to say that although I knew to use vinegar to clean off the kiln wash, I didn't know to soak the piece in vinegar. Works like a charm!
Linda Blackburn

"Art flourishes where there is a sense of adventure." - Alfred North Whitehead
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I have found that dusting fiber paper with fine alumina hydrate significantly lowers the amount of stuck fibers. I generally dump some powder on and lightly rub or shake it off. I suppose painting it with kilnwash would do the same, but I have no clue how the paper will respond to water, as I prefer working dry.

Another mitigator is either an irridescent coating, or in my work, the tin side of float glass. In both cases, the metallic coating helps resist the fibers from sticking. And, yes you could do a potmelt on float using Youghiogheny EZ fuse and compatible float.

2 tools I use for removing stuck fibers are, a well used 400 grit diamond hand pad, or steel wool. I have also employed a pressure washer, before mine was stolen. You can rent a pressure washer for quarters at the do it yourself carwash. Bring some foam to cushion the glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
ejgiebel

Post by ejgiebel »

I've found that using a piece of thin clear, sitting on a piece of shelf paper, works very well, assuming:

1. You are damming the piece, so the clear piece completely covers the shelf paper
2. You use a single, solid piece of clear (that comes from the experience of once and only once thinking I could use 2 pieces seamed in the middle)

Ed