mirror backed tiles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Shoshana B

mirror backed tiles

Post by Shoshana B »

Hello. Has anyone here ever successfully made glass tiles with a mirrored back? I would like to make some light colored, cathedral tiles for my children's bathroom. This is a fairly dark room, and I thought that mirrors behind the glass might lighten things up a bit. Any help or suggestions appreciated. [-o<
Mira

Post by Mira »

Check Michael's craft store. I think you can find the paint for the back that makes the mirror. I think it's called silvering, but I'm not sure.

Mira
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Mira Woodworth wrote:Check Michael's craft store. I think you can find the paint for the back that makes the mirror. I think it's called silvering, but I'm not sure.

Mira
You can't do a decent job of silvering without using toxic chemicals.

Consider using a UV cure adhesive to bond your glass to a piece of mirror.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

It's worth trying some silver or chrome paint on the back. If that doesn't give you the effect you want, you can cut mirror the same size as the tile, seam all the edges (sand off the sharpness but not necessary to grind the entire edge provided it's straight and flat), then place your tile and mirror together and swipe the edges with a thin coat of silicone.

This will hold it together until the joints are grouted. The silicone can be quite thin (run your finger along the edge to spread the silicone) but should seal completely to prevent any grout from getting in between. The back of your cathedral tile must be quite flat.

If your justing cutting cathedral glass to make tiles and are not fusing, you can buy cathedral that is already mirrored. Glamir is one brand name.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Barbara Cashman, a bb member has a line of mirror backed tiles.

a different Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS