healing a crack

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dick Ditore

healing a crack

Post by Dick Ditore »

It always happens. I have a 10x16 piece that is 3/4" thick. I wanted to trim it up square before cold working. I guess I got too close to the edge. While cutting, a crack appeared and started across the piece. Can I take it to full fuse and heal the crack, and if so, what type of firing schedule? I tried cutting some scrap 3/4" and if I cut off at least 1/4" I was fine. When I tried to just trim a little, it too cracked. I am using a 10" tile saw with a result blade from HIS Glassworks.

Any help is appreciated.

Dick
charlie

Post by charlie »

sure, why not. however, if there's ANY temp diff across the piece, expect that the crack will shoot across the piece on the way up.

at 1480, won't it grow since it's 3/4"? you'll have to dam it to take it to fusing temps.

the firing schedule should be really slow going up to 1000 at least. after that you can use your original schedule for that thickness.
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Dick,

I agree with Charlie. After firing, I'd try an annealing schedule more conservative than whatever you used in the first place.

I've done this myself with thinner pieces, and it worked just fine.

Steve
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

If the piece has any surface irregularities or features that you want to preserve, you can cast it in mold mix and fire it that way.

Jack