Dichro Slide

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Pat K.

Dichro Slide

Post by Pat K. »

Is dichro slide supposed to go under clear glass or fire hot? I put some on some rather bland pendants - on top. I only took it to fire polish - 1350. It looked funny to me as I was carefull applying it; it seemed some had come off the edges. I rubbed the top of one of the pieces and it came off on my hand. It didn't come with any directions; I did a search on here with no results. Anyone have any clues - I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
Kevin Midgley

Re: Dichro Slide

Post by Kevin Midgley »

you get what you pay for.
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

I checked the Glasshopper website (www.glasshopperpatterns.com). Their dichro slide instructions say it works well uncapped, and they recommend using your "usual fusing" schedule. I suspect it needs to be fired up into the fusing range rather than just a firepolish.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Pat K.

Post by Pat K. »

Thanks Lynn - I appreciate your helpfulness. Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
dawnsud

Post by dawnsud »

Most of the manufacturers have very helpful tech support people. If you don't know the manufacturer, call your supplier and find out.
Take care.
Dawn
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Lynn's right. If you want to use it uncapped, you'll need to fire high enough to get the slide to melt a bit into the piece. A full fuse works best.
Raphael Schnepf

Post by Raphael Schnepf »

My wife Margaret uses Dichroslide a lot and prefers the look under a thin layer of clear. She has sandwiched it between several layers. Just like dichro glass the look is different (brighter) under clear glass.

Raf
Raphael Schnepf

Post by Raphael Schnepf »

you get what you pay for.
By the way Kevin this stuff's not cheap. It has its uses and works in ways the would be impossible for dichro glass.

Raf